solstice

Norman Albers

Okay... so because a year ago I suggested that your assertion that the US should boycott the Olympics in China would do more to hurt our own athletes than it would to help the poor people in Tibet, you're now suggesting I'm protecting my corporate trade interests with China, and suggest I am delusional for my tongue in cheek post on the previous page.

I wish I could say that I've missed you, Norman, and your wacky/zany nature, but I'd be lying.

Btw - I stand by my point about your rants against the olympics last year. You were WAY over the line, and spouting some very hateful rhetoric (even got your account suspended more than once over the same issue), and the actions you advocated would have done NOTHING to support your cause... a cause which I ALSO support.

Happy solstice, jackass.

Edited by iNow

AWRIIGHT, A BRAWL, this is fun. Bascule, good to hear from you! Who the hell are "we all"? I don't know as I care to meet them. JohnB, I have firewood yearround. Let me know!¡!¡!¡! iNow, No, I think you are deluded. "MUMMING", cool you teach me a word. I am a piano player, not easily transportable, but I'll sing harmony!!! You help restore my sense of insanity, npts2020.

I'll be listening. Anything to help a buddy.:D

I find this loving Christian spirit so moving.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Stevie Wonder dot it right, and I paraphrase: 'Love will always be in need of love today. Don't delay, sent yours in right away!' My Dad died two years ago at the righteous age of 93. He was Lutheran minister. Incredibly, we agreed on 95% of what is real, and he never crammed anything down my throat. Funny, right in the middle of writing this post an email comes from my Aunt, now over 90 also, in the midWest, wishing me a happy Christmas. I answered: "It is time to honor also the solstice. We must honor the Earth even as we honor our own bodies. They are one, and one with the Spirit which infuses all."

Edited by Norman Albers
Consecutive posts merged.

Norman - Kindly please stop sending me your ridiculous PMs about me being an apologist for China, a statist who disgusts you, and someone who you can not respect. I don't really care what you think, and your messages aren't much more than litter in my Inbox from an obviously unstable mind... not to mention the fact that there was little need to send 3 PMs in 15 minutes... like little bursts of poo being thrown from a monkey in a cage... all while I'm spending time with my loved ones on today's holiday. Thanks.

The San Francisco Chronicle newspaper had a cartoonist, Farley, and one of his great 'toons was "Hilda the gorilla has returned from her winter stay in Louisiana and is looking glorious. Later in the afternoon she was seen flinging pooh at her cohabitants...." This was all a great takedown of the SOCIETY PAGE. . ."Have yourself a very ****** Chistmas."

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

On a theoretic note, look for papers by Wuming and by Xuegang, if you care to check out mathematics of unification.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

JohnB, call the captain a'shore, i want to go home. . .

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

iNow, I have tried to talk with you as an intelligent equal. I give up. LET'S SING ALONG, FOLKS, WITH APOLOGIES TO LINDA RONSTADT: "You're so lame, you probably think this post is about you, ...."

Edited by Norman Albers
Consecutive posts merged.

I found the following link which I read this morning relevant to this thread on several levels. :D

http://blog-en.chinesevoice.com/?p=1738

Winter Solstice is not only a very important Chinese solar term but also a traditional festival of the Chinese nation. Commonly known as "Winter Festival", it dates back to as early as more than 2500 years ago in Spring and Autumn Period, when Chinese people used Tugui observing the sun, measured out of the winter solstice, and stipulated it firstly for the solar term of entire 24 ones. The concrete date of Winter Solstice in the solar calendar varies as another traditional term Qingming, yet usually between each year’s December twenty first to twenty third.

According to modern astronomy the sun is directly above the Tropic of Capricorn on winter solstice, hence this day, in the northern hemisphere, is the day of the shortest daytime and longest night throughout the year. Chinese believe that the advent of the Winter Solstice is an extremely important and crucial moment when "Yin" forces of darkness have the last strongest nature, and "Yang" of light and warmth will gradually eliminate "Yin" in the world. Therefore, the winter solstice is a coordinated and harmonious moments full of joy.

In ancient China people attached great importance to the winter solstice. Be treated as a big festival before the New Year’s Day and Spring Festival, it once had the saying that "the winter solstice is as big as a year". Celebrating activities were held at that day as a custom especially in the vast rural areas. People thought since the days would get longer after a winter solstice, this is a start of a solar term cycle, an auspicious day that Yang recoveries, so it should be celebrated. The book of "Jin Shu" recorded that "in the Wei-Jin Dynasty many states and dependencies pay intributes by the winter solstice…", reflecting somewhat the importance of ancient days of the winter solstice.

Nowadays, some regions of China also spend the Winter Solstice as a holiday. Northern region has the convention of killing sheep, eating mutton, dumpling as well as wonton; the people in South China have the habit during the winter solstice day that eating boiled dough and noodles; among various regions there are also customs of ancestor worship on this day.

clip_image00213.jpgclip_image00410.jpg

[bIG TEETH] :rolleyes:

Does this ancestor worship involve soup???¿¿¿ I mean lately I have been feeling like a stranger in a strange land. GROK AND CHERISH.

Turtle soup in remembrance of the great flying turtle that brought the world here. Our ancestors ate the turtle afterwards, doncha know?