Mathematica code for sigma?

Freeman

I`m nowhere near that advanced yet, I`m up the part of a square X and Y, and then enlarging it proportionaly so that dx and dy (in the top right) is made up of y+dy and x+dx and stuff like that. and the one for calculating the angle of a ladder and how pulling the ladder away from 0 along the x will affect the height on the Y and stuff like that, the odd part is, there`s no real numbers involved? it`s certainly a new concept to me outside of programing :)

oh yeah, I covered 1`st and 2`nd orders of `d`

I think ur talking about a sequence of partial sums. i.e if u have a [math]\sum_{k=p}^{n}a_k[/math] then the nth partial sum would be [math]S_n=\sum_{k=p}^{n}a_k[/math] for all [math]n \ge p[/math]

So now you define a sequence of nth partial sums

that is {S_n}, and that will give u the set your looking for. maths programs should have the ability to calculate partial sums.

Dude, its the equation for a square with 2 units by 2 units. The equation would solve this problem, five squares! The answer is 5! The four one by one units and the one two by two square. (0+1)^2=1 and (1+1)^2=4, and 1+4=5

oh i get u now didnt realise.

the series u have given [math]\sum_{q=0}^{n}(q+1)^2[/math]

is equivalent to [math]\sum_{q=1}^{n}q^2[/math]

which is a standard maths series whose nth partial sum can be written down explicitely as a fucntion of n

and its given as [math]\sum_{q=1}^{n}q^{2}=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/math]

THIS IS A MISTAKE, ITS FALSE

correct version

the series u have given [math]\sum_{q=0}^{n}(q+1)^2[/math]

is equivalent to [math]\sum_{q=1}^{n+1}q^2[/math]

which is a standard maths series whose nth partial sum can be written down explicitely as a fucntion of n

and its given as [math]\sum_{q=1}^{n+1}q^{2}=\frac{(n+1)(n+2)(2n+3)}{6}[/math]

So what does dave's post mean?

It means that [math] \sum _{q=0} ^2 (q+1)^2 = (0+1)^2 + (1+1)^2 + (2+1)^2 [/math]

And why does my calc book say this: [...]

because what dave said is correct.