If the universe is expanding, what are we filling up?

Soulja

Originally posted by fafalone

The current big bang theory states that there were multiple points.

So you're just assuming that's correct?

If you don't believe that could have happened due to the lack of 'space' between the points, and therefore their lack of attributes defining them as separate points, why assume that's what happened?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by fafalone

Don't forget, conventional matter only makes about something like 30% of the total mass of the universe.

at the last meeting I was at (Jan, 2003) it was down to 8-10%. Not much.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by the GardenGnome

Are familiar with dark matter? It is not known to what is it but it is said to occupy most of the universe.

Sounds to me that with no sense of what dark matter really is, that the intention of this being a so called explanation is one that gives an easy outlet to "understand' the unimaginable:shrug:

Dark matter does seem a little dodgy. If my bank told me that no, 96% of my money wasn't all missing, it was simply dark money now I think I might be a little pissed at them. Wait...a little more pissed at them.

If the universe started from several points, wouldn't the several points already have space(-time) between them? Maybe it had the same kind of space-time as is outside our universe. If so, I hope whoever owns that space-time doesn't have a concept of property rights.

Originally posted by Skye

If the universe started from several points, wouldn't the several points already have space(-time) between them? Maybe it had the same kind of space-time as is outside our universe.

I don't think this is the case, nor have I ever heard of the big bang occuring in several places (expect for "everywhere" since it created space/time too)

Dark matter is supposed to be supersymmetrical versions of ordinary matter, such as WIMPs (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles) and configurations of normal matter aka MACHOs (MAssive Compact Halo Objects)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a question (pardon me if I show any display of ignorance)... but:

Isnt there a theory (its name I do not know) about multiple universes created by big bang, that they all touch at a certain point with our universe-- (which would give an idea to some what was 'outside' it)

Or was this bullshit that was fed to me years ago? :confused:

I dont remember it all .... :-( nor believe it.

• 3 weeks later...

I would imagine the edge of the universe to be a nothingness at an energy level of 0 (the minimum ground state for a particle is 1) therefore there is no particles of any sort, and if E=mc^2 holds then if there is no energy there is no matter.....if relativity works in a void that is ;)

Originally posted by Poena

Isnt there a theory (its name I do not know) about multiple universes created by big bang, that they all touch at a certain point with our universe-- (which would give an idea to some what was 'outside' it)

There is a new theory of other universes created at the time of the big bang; but the model predicts that one is 10^(10^28) (that's a 1 followed by 10^28 zeros) meters away, so it'll be quite a while before we can detect something that far away.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000F1EDD-B48A-1E90-8EA5809EC5880000

Originally posted by Physics5000

It is impossible to precieve what is beyond the edge of the universe being that we can not observe and nothing can exist beyond the universe, beyond space and time.

We can't perceive it, but we can make empirical predictions.