Many Worlds Interpretation...Freaky!

Damienquinn

If many worlds is true, and every possible outcome of a system that can happen, happens...then this has a few strange implications....

1.) When you watch or read fictional media, for example, a film, you are actually watching another world that actually exists somewhere. Conversly, intelligent species of other worlds are all watching you! Do everthing! Because the possibilities are infinite! They see everything. Every soap you ever watched exists somewhere as a society! Freaky!

2.) Therefore, creativity is not actually creativity. It is coincidental awareness of another world, withinin our world. A mini replication of a system.

3.) Imagine your worst nightmare happening to you. If it can exist in symmetry, it exists. What's to say that your not in this nightmare now, and some guy is about to kick your door down and torture you by cutting off your limbs infront of you?... You have no power over what stream of possibility that you exist in.

4.) If you try to plan an event exactly, your chances are one in infinite. You can plan a generic event that involves an infinite numbr of sub events, but planning can only go so far. This is why plans never work. You are constantly fighting against severly stupid odds where the world is random and spontanious. The uncertainty principle.

5.) You are powerless to your destiny.

I don't think you have the many world interpretation quite right.

It stems from the sum over histories that was postulated by Richard Feynman. It is also known as the Path integral formulation. Check here.

It essentially says that a system from point A reaches point B by every possible path or history. It really has more of a mathematical meaning than literal meaning, and is used to determine probabilities.

1. The probability for an event is given by the squared length of a complex number called the "amplitude".

2. The amplitude is given by adding together the contributions of all the histories in configuration space.

3. The contribution of a history to the amplitude is proportional to e^{i S/\hbar}, where hbar is reduced Planck's constant, and can be set equal to 1 by choice of units, while S is the action of that history, given by the time integral of the Lagrangian along the corresponding path.

Now that you understand that, the Copenhagen interpretation (the most widely accepted quantum mechanics interpretation) believes that the wave functions of less probable events collapse and the most probable unfolds, creating the existence that we know.

Originally proposed by Hugh Everett, the many worlds interpretation is actually the idea that there is no wave-function collapse that leads to a single history. Its not that someone is watching us or that a TV show is an alternate reality. It is the idea that all possible histories are expressed regardless if there are observers or not.

This is from wikipedia, "MWI's main conclusion is that the universe (or multiverse in this context) is composed of a quantum superposition of very many, possibly even a non-denumerablely infinitely[9] many, increasingly divergent, non-communicating parallel universes or quantum worlds."

The name "Many-Worlds Interpretation" in fact was not even coined by Everett, it was initially called Correlation Interpretation (correlation is referring to quantum entanglement). However, Bryce Dewitt, a theoretical physicist began referring to it as the "Many-Worlds Interpretation" nearly a decade after Everett's work. This lead to a somewhat misinformed, popularisation of the theory.

Even in the wiki article, it states that the most of the different varieties of the many-worlds interpretation, "either regard the extra quantum worlds as metaphorical in some sense, or are agnostic about their reality."

It is essentially the belief that there is universal wave-function and no such thing as wave-function collapse. And that this wave function stretches across a multi-verse of existences. The theory does not really refer to anything about our existence is a TV show being watched by aliens on another planet or anything hokey like that. If you notice from above MWI conclusion, it refers to the parallel universes/ quantum worlds as non-communication. So the idea that some alien is watching our lives play it is a very incorrect conclusion of many-worlds.

Finally, many-worlds has nothing to do with our ability to control our own destiny or the in-ability to control our own destiny. It is good to try and understand the theory fully, the discovery channel amps up things so it is more attractive to viewers. Hope I helped to clear this up. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Another thing, you said if you try to plan an event exactly your chances are one in infinite. That is not necessarily true, even according to the MWI. The idea would be that all possible outcomes of the event take place in parallel quantum worlds. The outcome of the event, that you experience however, would be determined by you.

Plus if the chances for planning out an event are one in infinity, no one persons plans would ever work. I planned to respond to your post, if what you said was true, I would have a 0% chance of being able to carry out that plan.

Edited by toastywombel

Thank you very much for your response i enjoyed that. You've put quite a lot of time into helping me understand a few things and i am deeply greatful. Cheers,

You planned to respond, but your plan and feeling about the way you would execute did not match the actual event in the slightest.

Thank you very much for your response i enjoyed that. You've put quite a lot of time into helping me understand a few things and i am deeply greatful. Cheers,

You planned to respond, but your plan and feeling about the way you would execute did not match the actual event in the slightest.

No problem, just glad I helped. And your right! I actually planned for you to become offended, most people do when others try to help clarify things for them but your maturity and opened mindedness surprised me and is quite refreshing.

PS: reputations points are always appreciated

If many worlds is true, and every possible outcome of a system that can happen, happens...then this has a few strange implications....

1.) When you watch or read fictional media, for example, a film, you are actually watching another world that actually exists somewhere. Conversly, intelligent species of other worlds are all watching you! Do everthing! Because the possibilities are infinite! They see everything. Every soap you ever watched exists somewhere as a society! Freaky!

Many works of fiction have subtle inconsistencies in them which render the scenarios impossible; this is especially true of SciFi. The writer has to either make them unimportant to the plot or hide them somehow, but they still exist.