What is your favorite Book ???

buddyburton

I really love the song of Ice and Fire series, its a fresh style of writing, with each chapter being a different characters viewpoint. It is dark at some points, though. Highly recommended to fans of fantasy or science fiction.

I liked them too, but haven't managed to read A feast for Crows yet. This is mainly because there was such a long time gap between the books that I have forgotten what happened.

On a related note, did you see that HBO are making a miniseries version of A Song of Fire and Ice under the title The Game of Thrones?

I liked them too, but haven't managed to read A feast for Crows yet. This is mainly because there was such a long time gap between the books that I have forgotten what happened.

On a related note, did you see that HBO are making a miniseries version of A Song of Fire and Ice under the title The Game of Thrones?

Yeah I just started a feast for crows, so far so good, and that HBO series looks like it might be good. Hopefully it isn't butchered and made to the books. speaking of the gap, I was fortunate enough to start the series a couple of months ago, so all the books were out with the 5th coming out soon. I wouldn't even mind rereading them while waiting they're so good.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well its really hard to dicide becuse i've read alot of good books but at this point in time, i would say the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series is my favorit becuse it has good plots charactors and the mythological information is correct

Some of mine that haven't been mentioned:

Ringworld by Niven

Rendezvous with Rama by Clarke

Hogfather by Pratchet ( So far my favorite of the discworld series)

Code of the Lifemaker by Hogan

Inferno by Niven and Pournelle

The Callahan's Place stories by Robinson

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Top 10

1) The Great Gatsby; F. Scott Fitzgerald

2) The Beautiful and the Damned; F. Scott Fitzgerald

3) The Guns of Navarone; Alistair MacLean

4) The Running Man; Stephen King

5) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; Douglas Adams

6) Z for Zachariah; Robert C. O'Brien

7) Dracula; Bram Stoker

8) The Silmarillion; J. R. R. Tolkien

9) The Outsiders; S. E. Hinton

10) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas; Hunter S. Thompson

• 1 month later...

1. Peter the Great - Robert Massie

Most brilliant history book I've ever read. Massie's writing style is so good, so easy to follow, so smooth, that it seems you're reading a short story rather than dramatic European history. An incredible subject with a support cast of equally amazing characters. Impressed me so much I travelled to Russia after reading it. Magnificent.

2. Byzantium - John Julius Norwich

Lord Norwich's 3 volume history of the mostly-forgotten Byzantine Empire is a wonderful and absorbing read. Real life tales that are both true and horrible, from family murders, crusades, emperors without noses, it's got it all.

3. Last Place on Earth - Roland Huntford

I've misplaced my copy of this and have to get another. Great account of the race to the South Pole in 1912 between Roald Amundsen and Robert Scott. Controversial as it demolishes the myth of Scott and shows him to be a rank amateur whereas Amundsen was coldly professional. Great book.

4. The Calendar - David Ewing Duncan

Great account of man's constant tinkering with measuring time, right up until mid-1949 when it was finally achieved on a worldwide scale. Excellent.

5. Fingerprints of the Gods - Graham Hancock

Even if you don't believe his theories, it's an intriguing and entertaining read. Great way to learn a little about Ancient Egypt, Mexico and South America too.

6. Man on the Moon - Andrew Chaikin

Wonderful history of the Apollo program, covering every Apollo mission with fascinating stories of the incredibly driven and focused individuals involved.

7. True Adventures of the Rolling Stones - Stanley Booth

The definitive rock and roll band on their definitive tour. The music biography that all others are judged against.

8. Why Evolution is True - Jerry Coyne

Masterful demonstration of the fact of evolution, with numerous overwhelming examples. Mandatory reading for anyone with an interest in the natural world. Actually it should be just mandatory reading.

9. The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins

Not quite as good as the one above, but still brilliant.

10. 1984 - George Orwell

Brilliant, scary, troubling, Orwell looks into the future superbly in this classic.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My favorite book is The Little Prince, it holds the best philosophy in the world, and it's very easy, because it shows the beauty of simplicity and the child and his pure ways of thinking and how business is pointless and has round this world, there's nothing more I've enjoyed my whole life than this book.<br style="font-family: 'Lucida Casual'; text-align: -webkit-center; font-size: small; ">

My favorite book is The Little Prince, it holds the best philosophy in the world, and it's very easy, because it shows the beauty of simplicity and the child and his pure ways of thinking and how business is pointless and has round this world, there's nothing more I've enjoyed my whole life than this book.<br style="font-family: 'Lucida Casual'; text-align: -webkit-center; font-size: small; ">

Nice choice. One of my favorites too.

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone,

This is William here from Kenya and I like to read books , listen music , watch movie and play games.

I like to read Novel book , Story book and Historical book. Some favorite book of mine are All the King's

Men,The Big Sleep,A Clockwork Orange,A Passage to India,The Golden Notebook,Dark Reign,Secret

Invasion,The Final Night,The Doll's House,Ancient History Books,Books on the Age of Discovery etc.

Tell here about your favorite book.

I love anything about Homicide Detective stuff (anything by James Patterson), Mystery (Agatha Cristie), or even Fantasy (Carol Berg, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman), as long as it's not too far fetched. One of my favorite books, though, is 'The Lizard Cage' (Karen Connelly).

Hello Everyone,

This is William here from Kenya and I like to read books , listen music , watch movie and play games.

I like to read Novel book , Story book and Historical book. Some favorite book of mine are All the King's

Men,The Big Sleep,A Clockwork Orange,A Passage to India,The Golden Notebook,Dark Reign,Secret

Invasion,The Final Night,The Doll's House,Ancient History Books,Books on the Age of Discovery etc.

I love anything about Homicide Detective stuff (anything by James Patterson), Mystery (Agatha Cristie), or even Fantasy (Carol Berg, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman), as long as it's not too far fetched. One of my favorite books, though, is 'The Lizard Cage' (Karen Connelly).

• 2 months later...

Well, that's a little difficult considering how many I love, but here are a couple:

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov

Of course, that's not all of them due to having a lot of favorites but those are some that I really like.

A lot of my favourites have already been mentioned, so I’ll limit my reply to those that seem to have slipped through the net:

East of Eden, Sweet Thursday, Cannery Row and The Pearl, Steinbeck.

For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Old Man and the Sea, Hemmingway.

Anything by Pratchett.

Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, Adams.

There are lots of others that, for the moment, slip my mind.

Cider House Rules - John Irving

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Anything by W.E.B. Griffin

Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer

The Call of the Wild - Jack London

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

A Farewell to Arms - Earnest Hemingway

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone,

What address do you want us to send Obama back to?

• 2 months later...

A Song of Fire and Ice series is not to be missed. If you like LoTR, you'll enjoy these books. They are, however, much darker. It's the first work of fiction that actually made me throw a book at a wall because of such dissapointment. That, my friend, is a compliment as it shows the sign of a great set of books.