What is your favorite Book ???

buddyburton

Hello Everyone,

This is William here from Kenya and I like to read books , listen music , watch movie and play games.

I like to read Novel book , Story book and Historical book. Some favorite book of mine are All the King's

Men,The Big Sleep,A Clockwork Orange,A Passage to India,The Golden Notebook,Dark Reign,Secret

Invasion,The Final Night,The Doll's House,Ancient History Books,Books on the Age of Discovery etc.

Tell here about your favorite book.

It's difficult to realy have one favorite but there is my list of fiction books I think are well worth reading.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

Hieros Journey by Sterling E. Lanier

If you like series of books then these are great

Empire of The East

The Complete Book of Swords

1st BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: WOUNDHEALER'S STORY

2nd BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: SIGHTBLINDER'S STORY

3rd BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: STONECUTTER'S STORY

4th BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: FARSLAYER'S STORY

5th BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: COINSPINNER'S STORY

6th BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: MINDSWORD'S STORY

7th BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: WAYFINDER'S STORY

LAST BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: SHIELDBREAKER'S STORY

ARDNEH'S SWORD

All by Fred Saberhagen

Or the trilogy

Titan, Wizard, and Demon, By John Varley

Or the Ring World series by Larry Niven

Oh the possibilities!

I'd recommend

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Paints an accurate picture of the struggle between moral right and legal right.

Huck Finn by Mark Twain. Shows America in the best and worst lights through the eyes of a young man.

Street without Joy by Bernard Fall. Shows the ultimate failure of colonialism in a vivid manner.

The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides. A practical philosophy book that remains topical after 800 years.

Wow, that's a difficult question.

Two of my favorites are definitely Neuromancer from William Gibson and Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson.

My avatar happens to be the cover of Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks (from which "bascule" is taken)

Animal Farm- Rather simplistic read, but metaphorically brilliant.

1984- What can I say I am an Orwell fan :).

Hamlet- Not exactly a book, but very good. So is Othello and Much Ado About Nothing.

Johnny Got his Gun- Rather depressing, but great read.

Mcteague- I think that is how it is spelled. A great novel about the selfish nature inside all men that only shows itself when the world around them breaks down.

Here are some others that I love:

Grapes of Wrath -Steinbeck

The Good Solder -Ford

A Clockwork Orange -I forget

Battlefield Earth -I forget again

• 2 months later...

My top five:

Summertide, by Charles Sheffield

The Tachyon Web, by Christopher Pike

The World for World is Forest, by Ursula K LeGuin

The Mind Pool, by Charles Sheffield

And Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess my top 5 of all time would be, though not necessarily in any order:

Dune - Frank Herbert

Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlen

The Neon Genesis Evangelion series of manga - Hideki Anno

(Being a highly introverted individual this book spoke to me on a level no other media ever has)

The Zombie Survival guide - Max Brooks

(Gotta be prepared for the impending zompocalypse - Are you?!)

Homers Oddyssey - Well.. By Homer I guess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Quoted for awesomeness.

Also the culture series from Iain M Banks. Rebus series from Ian Rankin, the cyberpunk trilogy from Richard Morgan (as well as most of his other few books), almost everything from William Gibson, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Orwell's 1984 just to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...

The dissapearing world:

Ice Flows and Flamming Water - The last days of the Eskimos (Innuit) as hunter travellers.

The last great Trek - The last annual trek of a tribe of sheep herders before the Shah of Iran ordered there slaughter to make way for the oil drillers.

The Wind in the Rushes - Life in the marshes before Saddam ordered the marshes to be drained.

Keep some tissues on hand!

The Ender's Game Series (By Card)

If you exclude 'Xenocide' and 'Children of the Mind', then I wholeheartedly agree. No wonder you picked that name then; I'm gonna start calling you Val instead.

Also, 'I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell' is amazing, but the movie sucked. And I'm rather partial to 'Catcher in the Rye.'

The Puppy That Lost Its Way

That's a really good book, too. :D

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdM1pqbX6A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdM1pqbX6A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I also like Corduroy, but I think it's somewhat depressing, thus I can't say it's my favorite book.

Here is a good recap of it:

I mean, in terms of social influence, I think Corduroy is the best book. It shows oppression, social rejection, etc... It shows the importance of looking nice and neat, always having buttons to your clothes, and more. But it worries me that the author made the little girl black. It made me wonder if this was a social commentary in saying that the poor will be dating other persons whom may be of poor communities. It's really curious what things were implied in that book.

Edited by Genecks

Hamlet's Mill (first published by Gambit, Boston, 1969) by Giorgio de Santillana (a professor of the history of science at MIT) and Hertha von Dechend (a scientist at Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität) is a nonfiction work of history and comparative mythology, particularly the subfield of archaeoastronomy. Its essential premise is that much mythology and ancient literature has been badly misinterpreted and that they generally relate to a sort of monomyth conveying significant scientific and specifically astronomical ideas and knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet's_Mill

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/hamlets_mill/hamletmill.htm

Edited by pink_trike
adding a link

• 5 weeks later...

Soo so many favourites, anything by Kurt Vonnegut, Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham, Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, and a new one Special Topics In Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And I'm rather partial to 'Catcher in the Rye.'

I don't actually like the story, or the book itself, very much. But the quality of the writing is just unbelievably good. If all writers could write so well, reading would be paradise.