Fruit

One day, I heard some sulphur dioxide on some fruit from newspaper. It said that sulphur dioxide react with water to form sulphuric acid.

Is

SO2 + H2O ----> H2SO4

SO2 + H2O ----> H2SO4 + O2

true?

However, they seem that they doesn't make sense.

They can't be balanced.

Therefore, I guess

2SO2 + 2H2O + O2 ----> 2H2SO4

right?

The reason why it doesn't balance is because it isn't the sulphur dioxide that becomes the sulphuric acid. It is sulphur TRIOXIDE. This is made from suplhur dioxide in the following reaction:

2S + 3O2 ---> 2SO3

and then, this mixes with water to form suplhuric acid:

SO3 + H2O ---> H2SO4

Quarky, you have a PM from me to this effect also :)

may I also recommend that you don`t PM me with a question that you`ve posted publicly, when I get time to answer you, I`ll do it, of that you may be certain :)

but not the same question twice !

cheerz :)

hehe sorry YT

2SO2 + 2H2O + O2 ----> 2H2SO4

is instead of the two equation, ok?

Actually, in the newspaper, the writer did not mention whether it's sulphuric acid or sulphurous acid, I just guess it :P!

Anyway, when we wash some longan with running water, sulphurous or sulphuric acid is formed?

Anyway, when we wash some longan with running water, sulphurous or sulphuric acid is formed?

i assume longan is a fruit.

since it is a fruit, i doubt it has SO2(g) in it. so...it has either H2SO3 or H2SO4 in it. really it depends on what other chemicals it is in contact with.

Sulphur dioxide is on the cover of the longan

That can't e possible as Sulphur dioxide is a gas. If it is put in running water it will turn into sulphurous acid. However, if the sulphur dioxide oxidises into sulphur trioxide, then sulphuric acid would be formed.

Sulpher Dioxide is used as a preservative, it`s often used in Jams too, and regularly used in water purification tablets when making your own beer or wine, Campden Tablets are such a product :)

[edit] I just looked at my list, and if you see E221 in the list of ingredients on the label, that`ll be your sulpher Dioxide :)