How to shut off an Electric current ?

John Phoenix

I am posting this here because honestly I don't know exactly where this falls.

Lets say, I have an electric current traveling through the air. In what ways could I negate this current without turning it off at the source?

Perhaps I just wanted to create a bubble if you will around me (assuming i am standing in the path of this current) where the current has to pass around me.. How could I do this?

oh.. I should mention that I do not want to do this with a physical object.. but with a force of some kind.

Stand inside a conductive sphere?

You may have replied before I could finish my edit.. nope.. standing inside something won't work. I need to negate or repel this current with a force or by somehow introducing something to the current stream that will change the properties or behavior of the electrons or protons - which ever brings about the desired effect.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Generate a sphere of plasma around yourself.

Interesting.. How would one do that?

Perhaps more importantly, Why would a sphere of plasma accomplish this goal and How would it work.. what is taking place from the plasma to negate the electric current?

Edited by John Phoenix
Consecutive posts merged.

maybe a super strong magnetic field might work. Like the kind use to contain nuclear fusion reactions. You could wear a metal suit as well. That way the electrons would travel along the metal suit around you. The metal would have to be grounded though, and not you or you would be electrocuted, It is much like if you were in a car that got struck by lightening.

You may have replied before I could finish my edit.. nope.. standing inside something won't work. I need to negate or repel this current with a force or by somehow introducing something to the current stream that will change the properties or behavior of the electrons or protons - which ever brings about the desired effect.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Interesting.. How would one do that?

Perhaps more importantly, Why would a sphere of plasma accomplish this goal and How would it work.. what is taking place from the plasma to negate the electric current?

A plasma is a conductor, so it would conduct the electricity. If you are surrounded by a conductor, the electricity will flow through the conductor rather than through you.

If you want to actually stop an electric current, you'd want an insulator instead.

A thought I had for this - is it possible to change the air into something less electrically conductive (refridgerant?)? If the air were replaced with a less conductive gas, it might be possible to squelch the arc. Though, I'm not sure how you would then be able to breathe...

• 2 weeks later...
A thought I had for this - is it possible to change the air into something less electrically conductive (refridgerant?)? If the air were replaced with a less conductive gas, it might be possible to squelch the arc. Though, I'm not sure how you would then be able to breathe...

This begs me to ask.. Does this mean this same electric ark would not work in space since there is a vacuum?

Wait.. don't we observe electric phenomena in space?.. could it be that the path the electricity follows is not solely because of the presence of air? Perhaps air is not the sole conductor?