Why do cats lick their fur?

neonsignal

The stomach is acidified to kill off most of the bacteria.

Fair enough, and the skin also acts as a barrier to pathogens. But is there something particular about the physiology or behaviour of a cat as compared to say a dog that would explain why they clean themselves in this way? (Of course there are other animals that lick their fur clean too, I'm just using the cat family as an example.)

• 3 weeks later...

Why do cleaner shrimp clean?

Probably some genetic basis occurs, thus influencing to cats to clean themselves. I suspect their domestication throughout generations has degenerated their various biological functions to breakdown dirt, bacteria, and other junk, which could lead to their puking and whatnot. My guess is the behavior sprung by a genetic basis continues despite domestication.

I suspect you could examine various species, test for a biochemical pathway and neurological influence that causes various species to clean, and perhaps track it down to a genetic basis. Maybe using smaller model organisms (flies) and then attempting to find similar things within higher organisms (cleaner shrimps, etc., cats?).

Edited by Genecks