hot ice with sodium acetate

strammy

well today I tried the experiment with sodium acetate and water but it didn't work. :doh:

I used sodium acetate from a chemistry lab (so it is pure...), I put sodium in boiling distilled water for a super-saturated solution: 160 gr in 30 ml of water and I left it on the heater for some minutes.

i put the solution in fridge but the solution crystallize in few minutes instead of stay fluid and i cannot use for make instantly "hot ice"...

where I made a mistake?!? :confused:

thanks a lot!

I think that you need to make sure there are no nuclation points anywhere (like undisolved crystals in the supersaturate, or scratches in the glassware). However, I haven't actually done this experiment myself, but have seen it done and own warming devices that use he reaction for heat. You can reverse it by heating it up and re-disolving.

Finally, which is what moved me to post, is that you shouldn't assume that your reagents are pure simply because they come from a chemistry lab. They could become contaminated anyhow. In this instance, though, I'm not sure how it would effect the reaction.