Humans have no true purpose

Zeo

Humans have no true purpose. As I watch humans progress through the years, I have realized how utterly pathetic and virutally useless the human race actually is...Some people like to think that the human race will amount to something big one day.

It very well might happen, but as of this point in time, it is nothing but a mischiveous race of overgrown monkeys scurrying about blissfully unaware of how pointless it truly is. Eventually, I believe that humans will end up killing each other out. People think that they've done things that will change the universe...heh. Humans have done nothing to make any type of mark on the universe. As for me, I blissfully dream of becoming immortal, only to find that my dreams are ignorant.

Life lessons are virually pointless, they have no true purpose, except to enforce a way of live upon us.

Amazing though, how far humans have progressed in the last ten years, why, only ten years ago, aol was only offering one free hour of internet access....

good times....good times...

Originally posted by Zeo

As I watch humans progress through the years, I have realized how utterly pathetic and virutally useless the human race actually is.

pathetic and useless...... I find it somewhat ironic that you use these constructs of language and the human mind, something that would not have even existed were it not for the very human progress you have decried, to put down the very beings that came up with these concepts.

'pathetic' is an irrelevance... what indeed is pathetic? It's an emotive word, something that can't really be applied without comparison to something else.

'useless' is such an horiffically emotive, and biased word, one could say that everything is useless, since even the universe itself serves no purpose, it's just one giant machine, chugging inexorably into the future based on a series of unchanging rules.

In meditative disciplines they teach people how to process information in their heads without mentally verbalizing. It seems the practice helps make correct decisions. It seems since we gained language, we actually slowed down processing and it's easier to make mistakes. To bad we aren't all empathic telepaths.

Since all we can do is talk and write and idiots have an equal right to do so, we just have to weigh our words carefully and do the best we can. I see an interesting future for humankind.

Just aman

I truly under stand Zeo the mostest, though! If you really look at the direction we're going and how huge the universe is then you will see that human life is pretty pointless and meaningless. Unless you recognize Jesus as the one true God that gives us a grand purpose and immortality.

I believe that if God never comes to rapture His believers (which He will) we will eventually die because of our factories over terraforming our atmosphere causing something much more catastrophic that global warming.

But who cares. I mean, unless you have God, life is pointless.

See you on the outside.

Originally posted by Adam

You can all insult and criticize zeo to an infinite extend, But answer to yourselves, What purpose does the human race serves to this planet ?

ask yourself this, what purpose does the planet serve?

what purpose does the universe serve?

why does there have to be a purpose?

why does there have to be an answer to the last question?

what is north of the north pole?

some things you can ask, but they have no meaningful answer.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

ask yourself this, what purpose does the planet serve?

some things you can ask, but they have no meaningful answer.

A Philosopher keeps asking questions no matter what.

A scientist only asks why.

Originally posted by Zeo

Humans have no true purpose.

We don't have a purpose in the sense that one our tools has a purpose - the sense of being created for a purpose.

rather we can decide a purpose for ourselves. and we've got quite far by doing that.

we might not be physically big, but that's a rather crude value system. not many supernovae have the equations for their own demise.

• 2 years later...

I get what zeo is saying, its unfortunate that any thoughts about life that dont include hallmark card sentiments lead to such harsh criticism. But these same kinds of thoughts are what i find my mind revolving around everyday. For all our technological achievements, what good has it done for humanity in general? A large portion of the planet is still in poverty or constant warfare, and It seems to me the older i get the more shallow and empty i find the majority of people i meet. We now live in a society that preaches materialism and greed over community. It all just seems so pointless. granted i am a depressive, but its like the chicken and the egg. aybe if life wasn't so petty i wouldn't feel so hopeless. But as Radical posted, some questions really have no point i guess. I dont see any great movement to improve anythng

Humanity is just a lot of chemical reactions that just happened, no more purpose than some pretty rock formations, but hey, what are you going to do about it?

Once upon a time some guy found a pigs bladder that had no purpose, then he invented football, this has caused more riots than most pollitial events and has employed more people than greenpeace yet it started without a purpose.

With a bit of imagination you can start with no purpose but still have a great time and get really really pissed, enjoy.

well most posters here are really rather depressing aren`t you?!

in fact it makes me wonder WHY you even bothered to reply here at all?

why DID any of you reply here?

(only the depressing ones need bother answer this post)

I'm happy just enjoying life. Who needs to ask why? I agree with tree 100%, but who cares? Bruno said the very same thing. Not considering a rock any more important then the pope just made inquisitors angy :P

mister_me's up there preaching about how a godless universe servers no purpose. But honestly. why do we need purpose? Dont any of the "depressed" find joy in anything? Sure, we are material. Our thoughts and emotions are material. But does this make any feeling of consciousness less real?

http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/lifeofwonder.html

I don't really care or think about this very much, but ebonmusings does have a point. Not that I'm being cynical or anything but I'm somewhat of a passive nihilist. This doesn't stop me from caring about life or humanity.

"What is the ultimate truth about ourselves? Various answers suggest themselves. We are a bit of stellar matter gone wrong. We are physical machinery - puppets that strut and talk and laugh and die as the hand of time pulls the strings beneath. But here is one elementary inescapable answer. We are that which asks the question. Whatever else there may be in our nature, responsibility towards truth is one of its attributes."

ask yourself this' date=' what purpose does the planet serve?

some things you can ask, but they have no meaningful answer.[/quote']

sorry for bumping this topic.. but i really liked this reply :P

Why did i reply? Because i know what its like to sit there musing about life and come up with these rather depressing conclusions, speak your mind about them, then get a flood of sarcastic crap like " oh you dont like your life? why dont you hang yourself then". Just thought maybe zeo would appreciate knowing hes not the only person that feels this way and he could speak his mind without every person that replied criticizing him.