cAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THESE ARE CALLED? pLEASE HELP

HOLLOWMAN2212

I actually don't know the name of its, but probably it's mechanism bases mainly on pressure and heat.

When you grab the lower bulb, as shown at the beginning of the movie, the air is heated up and expands, pushing the blue liquid up to the upper bulb through the vessel; when you grab the upper one instead, the same happens and the liquid is squeezed back to the lower bulb.

if you watch it carefully you will note that there is a tube going from the middle of the apparatus to the bottom or top of each bulb. the mechanism behind it s pressure as you can see by the white of the fingernail when he presses against the bulb. it looks like a capillary motion. the blue liquid is indeed water with a little food coloring

HOLLOWMAN2212,

- Not many people know what this is - not many people know what it's called.

But you had the big versions of this when you were a kid, so you can help us:

- We want to know how it works - so please explain us! You just need to know the name, but you know what is at the end of the black hose that goes down. A pump for example? And are those balls made of glass? Explain us more about this machine.

aND DON'T USE CAPS. It's not necessary. :D

To all others: I know that it looks like this thing is moving because of heat transfer from the fingers to the thingy. But I seriously doubt that any glass ball can transfer that much heat that fast. And also: the "hot" temperature on both sides is similar, meaning that the other side must somehow cool down very rapidly too - if this works with a temperature difference. I doubt it.

I think it's a "magic" trick. There's a reason why there is more to this than just 2 spheres and a glass rod on the inside.

do you squeeze it or does it work simply from the heat of your fingers?

if it's heat then I doubt the gas inside is just air, or the liquid just water.

It's ethyl alcohol, so the vapor makes it appear to boil. There's no pressure from his hand, it's the heat that increases the air pressure and forces the alcohol up to the other chamber.

Can you imagine the lawsuits if kids were supposed to squeeze that thin glass bulb repeatedly?

i wouldnt assume that it was glass i would think that its would be plastic expecially if its being squeezed. and it does look like it is being squeezed.

if it is being squeezed then it does account for the fluid moving fully up to the bulb or down to the bulb because once the pressure is off it would have a vacuum, but not strong enough to start sucking the fluid back down or up the ltube.

i wouldnt assume that it was glass i would think that its would be plastic expecially if its being squeezed. and it does look like it is being squeezed.

if it is being squeezed then it does account for the fluid moving fully up to the bulb or down to the bulb because once the pressure is off it would have a vacuum, but not strong enough to start sucking the fluid back down or up the ltube.

I used to have one of these, until I broke it. It's made of thin glass, filled with colored ethanol, and when you grab it your hand warms up the fumes from the alcohol and that increases the pressure inside the glass bulb, forcing the alcohol up the tube. When enough of the liquid has filled the top bulb for the tube to be covered, the gas bubbles up through the alcohol and makes it look like it's boiling, but neither the glass or the alcohol gets hot at all.

I don't remember what they called it, but I'm sure it had a brand name.

The bulb is NOT being squeezed.

Its on a Pen thats what the Black Tube is, it is Made of a think glass, the way it works is by heat from your body, as you can see when I hold it with 2 fingers it slowly goes down, but when I hold it from the bottom it rises up.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

THANKS YOU "INOW" its a hand boiler YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna by a bunch of them. look at it on google.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1177