23 year 'coma' turns out the guy was conscious

padren

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1230092/Patient-trapped-23-year-coma-conscious-along.html

A man thought by doctors to be in a vegetative state for 23 years was actually conscious the whole time, it was revealed last night.

Student Rom Houben was misdiagnosed after a car crash left him totally paralysed.

He had no way of letting experts, family or friends know he could hear every word they said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1230092/Patient-trapped-23-year-coma-conscious-along.html#ixzz0XeA6XLQy

Honestly this is one of the scariest things I can imagine. I would suspect this is a fairly rare occurrence, though I am glad apparently technology is getting better at identifying such cases. I have no idea how the mind could cope with that and not go insane. Not sure what I even have to say on the topic but I felt it was worth sharing. Maybe I'll think of more to say when I am less distracted by cold shivers down my spine just thinking about it!:eek:

He basically "pulses" his hand while someone else holds it...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120762270

"It was especially frustrating when my family needed me. I could not share in their sorrow. We could not give each other support," he wrote,
punching the words letter by letter into a touchscreen with one finger held by an assistant
at the 't Weyerke institute in eastern Belgium.

He basically "pulses" his hand while someone else holds it...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120762270

"It was especially frustrating when my family needed me. I could not share in their sorrow. We could not give each other support," he wrote,
punching the words letter by letter into a touchscreen with one finger held by an assistant
at the 't Weyerke institute in eastern Belgium.

Pulse? Hmmm this is strange. It doesn't really say anything about the accident he was involved in or how much he was injured.

And what's happened to NPR? They basically wrote the same stuff as AP, seems like NPR would look more into the means by which this guy is communicating. Smells fishy to me..

Pulse? Hmmm this is strange. It doesn't really say anything about the accident he was involved in or how much he was injured.

He was in an accident 23 years ago and has been in a vegetative state since. How much detail do you need?

And what's happened to NPR? They basically wrote the same stuff as AP, seems like NPR would look more into the means by which this guy is communicating. Smells fishy to me..

It's the same story all across the globe, dude. My god... :doh:

He was in an accident 23 years ago and has been in a vegetative state since. How much detail do you need?

I'd like to know whether the damage was spinal or brain. What kind of accident was it. Was he in a vehicle? Did he fall down the stairs? This he get shot in the back by gangsters? Did he slip and fall and bang his head on a piece of furniture?

I'm just curious.

It's the same story all across the globe, dude. My god... :doh:

Your God? haha that's funny. Anyways I thought this was pretty sad. vv

Recently he went to his father's grave for the planting of a tree.

"A letter he wrote was lowered into the grave through a tube," his mother said. "He closed his eyes for half an hour, because he cannot cry."

I'd like to know whether the damage was spinal or brain. What kind of accident was it. Was he in a vehicle? Did he fall down the stairs? This he get shot in the back by gangsters? Did he slip and fall and bang his head on a piece of furniture?

I'm just curious.

Ah... You might try google, then. Answers to those questions are not hard to find. Happy searching.