Heat Shields

ydoaPs

The walls on the Apollo craft are basically as thick as the skin on a school bus. As far as i know, the heat shields that are currently used provide little if any protection from gamma rays.

I somehow doubt that nasa.gov blast astronauts and sensitive electronic equipment into the solar maelstrom without any protection at all.

Anyhoo, there must be a reason they use what they use re: heat shielding. Perhaps there is more info on their web site.

Knowing NASA, an equally likely explanation is because they've set up a hideously interlinked and complicated system which demands the silicates and the governing body refuses to allow funding to change it.

I somehow doubt that nasa.gov blast astronauts and sensitive electronic equipment into the solar maelstrom without any protection at all.

Anyhoo' date=' there must be a reason they use what they use re: heat shielding. Perhaps there is more info on their web site.[/quote']

Well, they do have some protection, but I do not believe they have protection from gamma rays. I dont think gamma rays would effect electronics equipment either.