Do not know peanuts about wood fireplaces...

Externet

Hi all.

Never used one, never lived in a house with a fireplace or wood-burning stove, and would like to find out if installing one in my small house would be wise. The existing chimney has a 8" port hole on a side as there was one installed long ago.

Just an image of what I would like: http://www.rickdenney.com/images/wood-stove-lores.jpg

My concerns (from ignorance) is that such device uses the room air for combustion. That air has to creep-in into the room trough poor window and door seals, meaning that exterior cold air gets sucked-in, diminishing the heating purpose :confused:

If such device could suck its combustion air from the crawling space under the house, would it be better ? Are there wood stoves with ducted air inlet ? Do those 'models' have a specific name ? I could drill the floor to use the crawling space air to burn instead.

How easy is to set it wrong and get fumes/stench in the living space ?

Would a smoke detector be typically constantly activating ?

Would a CO2 detector be a mandatory gadget to have ?

Thanks.

Edited: added ---> Is the lower duct in this found image what I mean; or could it be added to a stove lacking one ? Any mysteries ?

http://tinyhouseblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/woodstove.jpg

Edited by Externet
Added text

I have a fireplace, so here is my advice.

You should really talk with people who sell these units as well as someone who can take a look at the chimney to be sure it is safe. Depending on the function of how things are now ducted, and the current condition, it could be unsafe to connect a wood stove.

Even older fireplaces provide more heat than gets removed by the airflow, and modern units are actually quite efficient. A duct from outside would be even more efficient, but at a cost, so look into the pricing and consider how often you will be using the stove. Don't try to add one to a stove not designed for it, thats probably asking for trouble.

Since the smoke goes up the chimney, the smoke detector should never go off. Ours never does.

Fumes are generally not a problem as long as you only burn paper or wood (never burn plastic). Just be sure to not open the door with the damper closed and you won't ahve a problem.

A CO detector is a good idea, but whether or not it is mandatory probably depends on the local codes. They are pretty cheap compared to the installation of a fireplace or wood stove so you should get one anyway.

A stove is much more efficient for heating purposes than a fireplace, and safer too, but usually uglier. In either case, the floor underneath and nearby should be non-flammable. Then you have to worry about not getting embers in the wrong place, where to get wood, and what to do with the ash. Ash can be used as fertilizer, so long as you don't put so much as to make the soil alkaline. They make very reliable shredders, but for paper and stuff there can be a risk of small bits flying out the chimney. Chimneys can occasionally gather enough soot and stuff to catch fire, especially if you burn resinous woods.

If done properly, a smoke detector should not activate since fumes are supposed to go up the chimney. A carbon monoxide (not dioxide) detector may be a good idea, as poorly ventilated fires can cause carbon monoxide, which is an odorless poisonous gas. However that too is supposed to go up the chimney.

If you have a digital camera (or cameraphone, or friend who has one), you can snap a few pictures of the area you want to put it in. If you decide to get one, read up about fireplace safety. I'm not sure how they compare to, say, having a smoker in the house, but they should be quite safe if you use common sense and don't have any little pyromaniacs in the house.