Cap'n Refsmmat

What are you reading?

Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness in the West. By Cormack McCarthy

A Western about scalp hunters. cant recommend this enough 

Also try The Road by the same author.

• Seven Brief Lessons  On Physics   -  Carlo Rovelli

very thin, only 79 pages, but seems good overview for understanding the basics.

• Unmasking Europa. -  Richard Greenberg

On 6/10/2019 at 4:32 PM, swansont said:

Just finished “The Poison Squad” by Deborah Blum - very good

Now reading “The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War” by Ben Macintyre - thus far also very good

Finished the Spy and the Traitor a few weeks ago. Very good telling of the tale.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:05 PM, swansont said:

Finished the Spy and the Traitor a few weeks ago. Very good telling of the tale.

Could you recommend a book store/place where I could find good books/papers on physics for my new Kindle for our 2 week mediterranean vacation? Also if anyone has a tip on a good scifi/dystopia/utopia book I’d be grateful. 

You're going to the Mediterranean for two weeks and you're gonna read ???
Greece isn't it ?

I can think of much better things to do.
( grilled octopus, Ouzo, and seeing all the little islands by boat and scooter )

8 hours ago, MigL said:

You're going to the Mediterranean for two weeks and you're gonna read ???
Greece isn't it ?

I can think of much better things to do.
( grilled octopus, Ouzo, and seeing all the little islands by boat and scooter )

„Kos” island in a multiple pool, private beach and all inclusive hotel presumably with a bunch of other families with kids. I’m already hating myself for doing this but we got a 3 year old so regrettably this is not going to be a dedicated adventure and exploration trip. I wonder for how long I will be able to hold my urges to go and do something stupid, we’ll see...I need good reads to stay a good boy. 

Edited by koti

7 hours ago, koti said:

„Kos” island in a multiple pool, private beach and all inclusive hotel presumably with a bunch of other families with kids. I’m already hating myself for doing this but we got a 3 year old so regrettably this is not going to be a dedicated adventure and exploration trip. I wonder for how long I will be able to hold my urges to go and do something stupid, we’ll see...I need good reads to stay a good boy. 

Take some good reads, but I did the same thing in Cozumel when I had a 3-year-old. When we weren't playing in the surf and sand and pools with her, the resort had daycare to keep her ocupado while mom and dad explored for a while. 

34 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Take some good reads, but I did the same thing in Cozumel when I had a 3-year-old. When we weren't playing in the surf and sand and pools with her, the resort had daycare to keep her ocupado while mom and dad explored for a while. 

Thats the plan, they have some day care thing. I got some old William Gibson and Philip K. Dick novels I havent read so I’ll be taking that. Plus I never read „Dune” and got some long due physics papers I want to read.

8 hours ago, koti said:

regrettably this is not going to be a dedicated adventure and exploration trip.

A friend of mine told me it's important to make a distinction between a "trip" and a "vacation". A trip is full of sightseeing and adventure and exploration. A vacation is where you park your butt on a beach and relax with a good book (or sunglasses) and DON'T think about all that other stuff.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

A friend of mine told me it's important to make a distinction between a "trip" and a "vacation". A trip is full of sightseeing and adventure and exploration. A vacation is where you park your butt on a beach and relax with a good book (or sunglasses) and DON'T think about all that other stuff.

Exactly. We’re taking a weeks trip to the local lake distric right after Greece. I’m counting on resetting and hopefuly getting new firmware for whats comming in September. 

On 7/13/2019 at 4:37 PM, koti said:

Could you recommend a book store/place where I could find good books/papers on physics for my new Kindle for our 2 week mediterranean vacation? Also if anyone has a tip on a good scifi/dystopia/utopia book I’d be grateful. 

Not sure if it is exactly what you're looking for but the Belisarius Series is pretty great. Mix of alternative history, scifi and dystopian/utopian elements, set in the Byzantine period.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:37 PM, koti said:

The Road by Cormack McCarthy. Post-Apocalyptic, Not too long, simply written, absolutely brilliant.

Edited by Curious layman