What are you reading?

Cap'n Refsmmat

I'm reading Shogun by James Clavell. Next up on my list is the new Stephen King, Under the Dome. I like to try to do some fiction/entertainment reading this time of year. I'm definitely checking out that Google book, though -- just sent myself the first chapter via Kindle.

I do all my reading on Kindle (for iPhone) now. Amazon apparently sold more Kindle books on Christmas Day than real books. That's partly due to people who were opening new Kindles that morning, of course, but I think it's a sign of the times. The Washington Post ran an interesting story today about a big battle in the publishing industry taking place over e-books, and it suggests that publishers are really just getting in the way and not providing either authors or readers with any value.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/24/AR2009122403326.html

Apple's upcoming tablet may boost this kind of reading even further, especially if it runs iPhone apps out of the box.

• 4 months later...

I've started reading "confessions of a philosopher" by Bryan Magee. I find it a nice introduction to philosophy.you don't need to hav some background in the field to read it.I am on the chapt.about Problem of perception.(seems like my skepticism is put on test,after all !!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings with William Blake's "Garden of Love" :) :

I went to the Garden of Love,

And saw what I never had seen;

A Chapel was built in the midst,

Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut,

And ‘Thou shalt not’ writ over the door;

So I turned to the Garden of Love

That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,

And tombstones where flowers should be;

And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,

And binding with briars my joys and desires.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Books I have found to be helpful: Sermon on the Mount by Emmet Fox, The best loved poetry to be read again and again compiled by Mary Sanford Laurence, The immortal game by David Shenk, The Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions, Alcoholics Anonymous, Varieties of Religious Experience by William James, Elements of Style by Strunk and White, and How to Use Computers to Improve Your Chess by Christian Kongsted.

• 3 months later...

I just read "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy, great read... Im getting ready to read, "The Years Best Science Fiction" 27th Annual edition... but mean time I'm reading "Season of the Spellsong" by Alen Dean Foster... just to keep busy...

• 1 month later...

Currently reading Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved, by Frans de Waal and others. It's really an excellent read for people interested in morality and how it might have evolved. It starts with an essay by de Waal, who is a leading primate researcher, continues with four essay responses criticizing and expanding upon de Waal's points, and finally ends with a response by de Waal.

I'm about halfway through, and while it's pretty philosophical at times, it's interesting and it makes you look at morality in a different way.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read Enders Game by Orson Scott Card.

It was quite the read, it is a Scifi based upon set human nature in a time when space travel is possible. It is about the very real possibility of encountering aliens and the outcomes that can happen. Specifically, this book questions what would we as humans do if we were attacked by an alien race. we lost the first skirmish but won by pure luck on a second real invasion. This book is about our actions after that.

• 1 month later...

Neil Gaiman: American Gods, Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451, M. Zusak: The book thief, W. Golding: The lord of the flies. I also liked when we read Boccaccio: Dekameron and Pirandello: Six Characters in Search of an Author in school. I'm half-way through Organic Chemistry by Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers.

• 2 weeks later...