Function of RNA in Leukocytes

jake_f

Leukocytes is divided into two groups, Granulocytes and Agranulocytes. I know that the DNA is used for amino acid sequences of the proteins and enzymes.

The question I would like to ask:

Why do Granulocytes/ Agranulocytes have a high concentration of RNA?

I also know that there are the messenger RNA (mRNA), ribosomal RNA (rRNA) and transfer RNA (tRNA). I know their functions too. But the reason is I don't really know why the Leukocytes must have a high concentration of RNA. Is it because of the white blood cell function?

Please enlighten me.

Usually a high concentration of RNA implies large demand for protein synthesis. Leukocytes in fact could be divided into lymphocytes and granulocytes. The former, especially B cell series, need to produce a significant amount of immunoglobulin, T-cell series also need numerous protein messenger molecules like cytokines; the latter needs to synthesise pharmacalogically active polypeptides.

Thanks to dttom and CharonY, I guess I am finally on the right track. So the reason for the white blood cell to have RNA, is to synthesis proteins, but the functions of the proteins synthesized are related to the different functions of the various types of white blood cells.

Thanks, I think I can try to attempt that question now. :)