Webcam time-lapse of ATLAS being built in 5 minutes

Martin

A fan of the LHC put together this excellent LHC portal, the announcement is in "news" forum. Its a volunteer effort--all this stuff is gathered and organized to make it accessible. I really like what he's done.

Two things. There is a timelapse montage of webcam footage showing the assembly of the ATLAS detector compressed into 5 minutes. Real people and events, but flashing past extremely quickly and the whole thing gradually coalesces.

But what is more educational is to first watch a couple of 6 or 7 minute computer animation tutorials, that peel off the ATLAS layers and say what each does. So how the various particles can be distinguished and tracked and their energies measured.

You may have already seen these tutorial animations---they are extremely good. Once you watch them, then when you look at the 5 minute timelapse of the actual realworld assembly of ATLAS you can recognize the various components and layers as they are fitted on.

This LHC "fan-site" has not so far been commercialized.

http://www.LHCPortal.com/

It does not have advertisements cluttering it up. It would be beautiful if it stays that way---a pure labor of love by whoever the guy is.

I would say enjoy it now before it gets popular and runs the risk of getting advertisements. Or shut down by the CERN management because as a volunteer effort it is not an official part of their public relations.

If you go to LHCPortal.com you get links to all the goodies, but here's a sample on Youtube of the kind of thing Portal links you to.

These are animations which have been available for a couple of years. They are not the actual webcam montage, which only became available a month or so ago. I don't have the link for that handy. The title is something like "Atlas built in 5 minutes".

If you find any stuff on Portal you think might be interesting please post a link to it.

Ah! I found a Youtube link that has that "Atlas built in 5 minutes" thing on its menu:

http://www.youtube.com/TheATLASExperiment

Edited by Martin