boring scientific work - how do you handle it?

Dreamer

Think more concretely. If you have a report to prepare, and you're extremely uninterested in its subject how do you get through it? ...
Sometimes the ones that you are the most interested in are the most difficult to get through. I don't have any foolproof methods, but I fill give you some ideas.

1. You have to know yourself, in the Myers Briggs sense. Some scientists are more intuitive thinkers. Some are more sensing thinkers. The former often come up with ideas quickly but might not get their kicks following through on details. Some very excellent scientists are actually feelers rather than thinkers, but these usually have to be very intelligent to function well as scientists. Those that do and are can be awesome. Takes all kinds. Then there the perception vs judging thing. I don't understand that entirely, but that can be the hurdle also.

2. Lack of sleep. On monotonous details I work better after working all night because it dulls the creativity just enough to get the work done. Only works for one day though, followed by at least two days to recover. I am not recommending this for everybody, but it works for me.

3. Caffiene. They say a little each day is not so bad. Personally I think its addictive as hell. Once you have done the lack of sleep thing and then get on a roll then caffiene can help you stay on a roll for awhile, to prolong it a bit, but eventually you crash. Everything in moderation, including moderation.

4. Alcohol, the other white drug. This does not work for me. It might work for you but I still wouldn't recommend it. Great once the work is done though, assuming you want to forget all about it.

5. Sex. Highly recommended. It might not help your work, but still, highly recommended.

6. Talking with colleagues. This is a good way to keep the interest going on your subject and to keep the mind working or get it functioning in a differerent part of the brain, especially if you are an extrovert like me. But mostly it is just a good way to get to number 5.

7. Walk to work. Very very important in the long term as well as the short term, to keep yourself healthy and thinking right, especially if you are experimenting with any of the above, individually, or in all the possible combinations.

Best wishes. Scientist heal thyself.:)