Gay Marriage

bloodhound

Damn christians, they ruin everything... :mad:
Don't hate them. Many Christians are simply afraid. Afraid of change. Afraid of sexuality. Afraid of big scary Canadians with tattooed upper arms.

But mostly afraid of gay Canadian ninjas with tattoos.

Every country simply needs to come up with a semi-binding ritual of consentual cohabitation recognized by all that gives the same benefits as marriage without being called marriage. Revenue-sactioned Pagan hand-fasting in a mutually recognized place of comfort springs easily to mind.

Don't hate them. Many Christians are simply afraid. Afraid of change. Afraid of sexuality. Afraid of big scary Canadians with tattooed upper arms.

But mostly afraid of gay Canadian ninjas with tattoos.

Every country simply needs to come up with a semi-binding ritual of consentual cohabitation recognized by all that gives the same benefits as marriage without being called marriage. Revenue-sactioned Pagan hand-fasting in a mutually recognized place of comfort springs easily to mind.

Well, I dont like them very much :-( , lets kill them!

Now, I have a question about american law (i am a mexican law student). Is there a way to get all the rights that come with marriage without getting married?
In fifteen states and Washington DC, common law marriages are recognized between hetero couples who are not formally married if they act as if they are married and this gives them the same rights as married couples (insurance, pensions, taxes, hospital restrictions, etc). But common law does not recognize ANY same sex couples.

We should send death after them:
Can you make him dance or swing the scythe by flexing your biceps or does he just breath funny?

Although I'm a republican, I'm quite frankly disturbed over the fact that the current administration is seeking to make an amendment to the founding document of this country because of his personal belief. Granted, the constitution was drafted around the convictions of the founding fathers, but those convictions included individual and state rights, and small federal government. In my opinion, the federal government should back up and let the states deal with it on an individual basis.

I don't believe the states should ban homosexual marriages either. Marriage (the ceremony) is a religious event. Let the individual religious leaders decide whether or not they want to marry a couple. The state, however, has no right to impede on personal freedom by denying civil union to a couple.

Even if you believe homosexuality is wrong, immoral, unnatural, whatever, there is no reason for you to impose your beliefs on others. I find it interesting that Christians are the most outspoken against gay marriage. While they have every right to hold that homosexuality is wrong, why don't they take a lesson from God Himself and not force people to do things their way. I always tell my Christian friends that God allows people to break His law and do as they please. So why should any Christian force someone to behave in accordance with their own personal "law".

Although I'm a republican, I'm quite frankly disturbed over the fact that the current administration is seeking to make an amendment to the founding document of this country because of his personal belief.
Let the individual religious leaders decide whether or not they want to marry a couple. The state' date=' however, has no right to impede on personal freedom by denying civil union to a couple.[/quote']It takes a lot of guts for a platform Republican to make a statement like that and I applaud you for it, blike. This administration has used fear and hatred to push its private agendas and I'm sick of it. It has turned patriotism into nationalism, and religious conviction into homophobia. If the churches don't want to take the money for same sex weddings that's their business, but ammending the constitution to promote more social division is the last thing this country needs.

Not all christians are against gay weddings, so surely there is no need for generalization here !

The netherlands is a christian country at the foundation, though ofcourse church and state are seperated, but the christian community is still relatively strong and gay weddings are allowed since some years now.

I think it is clear that gay couples should get the same rights and obligations as married couples. It could always be called something else than a marriage if people would prefer so.

When people say things like " find it interesting that Christians are the most outspoken against gay marriage", I automatically take it to mean "of the people against gay marriage, it is the Christians who are the most out-spoken".

This is a little off-topic, but why are people so eager to stick themselves in boxes such as "republic", "democrat" and so on? Personally I think that approach opens the door to people who would rather oppose issues with labels.

(I'll split this off if it gets interesting - now split off to here)

Not all christians are against gay weddings' date=' so surely there is no need for generalization here !

[/quote']

and not all those Against Gays are Christians either (or Ninjas, good or evil) :)

I personally think live and let live. I think that ammeding the US constitution saying that marriage is only between man and woman devolves the society quite back.

I agree. Carving an amendment for this in the Constitution is just plain stupid(Just like creating this country and calling it FREE and all man are created equal, but then to import slaves to this free land.....). This and a number of other issues or things that Bush said or done has made me want to see him KICKED out of the office.

And especially if they could do something to Impeach him for something/anything, for example the Iraqi war, or at least our - err, HIS reason for us going there, would be even nicer. :D

And especially if they could do something to Impeach him for something/anything' date=' for example the Iraqi war, or at least our - err, HIS reason for us going there, would be even nicer. :D[/quote']

There are reasons: :rolleyes:

1)Opression of people (we all know that the US has to step right in where thats happening, look at N.Korea,Palestine,Sudan...)

2)Weapons of mass destruction (Dont forget only the US is allowed to have wmds, just because they said so...and it seems Iraq dosnt have any)

3)Harbouring terrorsits (even though there werent very many terrorists when the war started, look how many there are now!)

There are reasons: :rolleyes:

1)Opression of people (we all know that the US has to step right in where thats happening' date=' look at N.Korea,Palestine,Sudan...)[/quote']

US should reconsider it's forreign affairs policy. We are trying to act like the world's Big and Very concerned brother and try to be the first to offer help(or troops) to other countries. In most cases our help there is Not needed, Not wanted and or Not Welcomed.

2)Weapons of mass destruction (Dont forget only the US is allowed to have wmds, just because they said so...and it seems Iraq dosnt have any)

Yes, and all the efforts to find them have failed miserably.

3)Harbouring terrorsits (even though there werent very many terrorists when the war started, look how many there are now!)

That's a damn good point.

To bring this thread back to domestic policies, has a US administration ever made a more glaring error than to try to bring Church and State together again? Aren't they seperated for a reason?

Well, people tend to change their feelings about things, constantly, it really isnt a big surprise that they make the same policy mistakes after a while.

Why don't americans impeach their prez more often? Why hasn't teh people asked to remove bush?

Has people really fallen for that "we are trying our best to bring our boys back" and cant see the fact that bush simply has to make a phone call to bring them back and chooses not to?

Because of course, americans care more for 1 fal;len solfdier thn for thousand of iraqi children

I have always been astonished by the american coception that the prez embodies the best of the nationm. If that is true, my friends, you are in trouble.

Your prez is not very bright, he is warloving and unadequate.

Do you gusy treally think he has a legit shotr at a second term? I hope not!

Do you think he can sleep at night?

And dont you get me satrted iN Vicente Fox. At least he hasnt killed anyone...