Gay Marriage

bloodhound

Plus I see hypocrisy in complaining on the one hand that the government "has no business telling us how we should or should not live our lives"' date=' but on the other hand saying that something that does not affect you makes someone else's lifestyle "more accepted and 'normal'".

[/quote']

I think you were misunderstanding. I was meaning that allowing gay people to marry makes marriage more widespread, which is a bad thing because it leads to the societal expectation that one should be married to be normal. If society has an expectation that I should be married, that definitely affects me (even if they do not directly discriminate against me for not being married).

I think you were misunderstanding. I was meaning that allowing gay people to marry makes marriage more widespread, which is a bad thing because it leads to the societal expectation that one should be married to be normal. If society has an expectation that I should be married, that definitely affects me (even if they do not directly discriminate against me for not being married).

Apart from the fact that that is really really tenuous, you're choosing to attribute this to gay marriage in particular.

I'm not discriminated against for not being married. Never have been. Sure, people discriminate against single parents, especially mothers, but I can't think of being thought of as "not normal" for being single. Hell, I'm not normal for plenty of other reasons.

As far as that goes, define normal.

• 2 years later...

Killa Klown, what a novel idea. However, if anything, the hormones would mostly only have an affect much earlier in the decision-making process. For once that bridge has been crossed, going back can be kind of a complicated process. In many cases, I don't think hormones would have any effect, well, not in the way you would expect it to, probably. Environment, and development, and nutrition, and activity levels, and culture, and their effect on psychology, not to mention history, it's all just too much to factor in regarding the world that we live in today, not to mention simple primal sexual gratification. How do you think it was for the very first couple of homosexuals? There is this one species of goldfish that just have sex with anything in front of them, something, anything. Women could have been kind of scarce back then, a lot like today, in some places and certain situations.

Frankly, I like to think that civilization will move on, but realistically some things about the world are just too monumental to change. On the flip-side, there are those that would say, "Ahh, but it's the best population control!"

As far as gay marriage is concerned, there is no such thing as gay marriage, period. Marriage is naturally defined as being between a male and a female. While animals may have homosexual intercourse for whatever reason, you simply don't find same-sex animals that have life-long relationships, well, except for humans. The whole gender identification phenomenon is really just another homosexual rationalization. However, people will do what they want in this not-so-perfect world and we can just chalk it all up to history.

Mental abnormality is a funny old thing. Technically homosexuality is behavior deviating well out of the normal range, so there's no particular reason not to call it a mental illness. But that doesn't mean anything, apart from that they are different in one way.

I'm happy for any gay couples who have the option of marriage or not. Being married or not is a decision that impacts them more than any fleeting opinion I have on the subject. We have gay couples in our circle of friends...one a police officer, one who is the cover illustrator of my wife's books, one a professional gardener. They and their partners go through the trials and tribulations of any of us in society. I'm pleased that at least here, in Canada, they don't have to live with a negative stigma. Our lives are richer because of the diversity of the culture around us...the more ethnic groups, languages, lifestyles and so on. None of our gay friends have yet 'tied the knot' but we'll be happy for them if that's a decision they make and will feel privileged to witness their marriage vows.

I'm fine with gay couples and I've come to accept gay marriage, even with its tricky legal precedent issues (we can solve that problem if we need to).

I'm not so sure about recent efforts to bring homosexuality into the mainstream. Some of that stuff seems to be less about equality and more about generating larger numbers of potential playmates.

My father is gay. I know that he doesn't really care if he's allowed to get married or not, he's still going to be with his partner.

As far as whether I think gay marriage is ok, I see no negative results from it. I think to solve the problem of "reinforcing the idea that the state should need to legitimize people's private sexual preferences" -Originally Posted by Severian there would have to be no laws regarding gay marriage.

i.e. No laws banning or allowing it.

Right now, I think that generally gays are being discriminated against just as many other groups have been in the past. Eventually people will get over the fact that a man can be in love with a man and a woman can be in love with a woman and they will move on to another group to discriminate against.

Gay marriage put the United States behind other countries, therefore we must condemn it.

In what way has it put the US "behind" other countries, and why should some subjective ranking against other countries take priority over the welfare of your own citizens?

honestly, I couldn't care less If gays get married, I understand why they want it so much, and for those reasons we should let them.

The real question is if gayness is genetic then maybe if society really accepts gays and gays are not afraid to hide that they are gay even from a very early age, then maybe there will be less and less gays. Probably in the past many gays had a spouse of the opposite sex and produced children because they needed to hide the fact they were gay. If they stopped doing that then maybe the gay gene would sort of be left out of the gene pool. then, sometime in the future there will be so little gays that it becomes really taboo again people start hiding in closets again and the cycle continues. I don't know... it seems to me that in the past there was a time when being gay was much more accepted in europe than in recent history. but artificial insemination and other things could help against that now I guess.

I agree that gay marriage should be allowed. I would let them adopt children. We have enough kids in this country being raised by one parent without using this resource.

Also, I'm tired of the parades. Let's just make them mainstream and forget about it.

Does anyone over 10 years old really like any parades? St. Patrick's Day? Santa Claus (yawn). what's that wierd one in California the Americans have where they do nothing but boast about how many flowers were wasted?

I had a friend who worked for a local TV network and she said the lowest point of journalism was when they would do a blip on some local parade. Just what new can be said when the 5th band goes by that sounds as bad as the 4 that went before it?

Didn't I mention a CURE a Pill or patch that realises some type of hormones that effectivly make the man only horny for WOMEN, thereby making him straight again by fixing the unbalance in his body. I also mentioned that being homosexual could be considered a type of mental illness.

I agree that gay marriage should be allowed. I would let them adopt children. We have enough kids in this country being raised by one parent without using this resource.

Also' date=' I'm tired of the parades. Let's just make them mainstream and forget about it.[/quote']

Here, Here!

You've obviously never been to New York.

Or any city, anywhere. Everywhere has parades and everywhere they have the potential to be awesome.

Didn't I mention a CURE a Pill or patch that realises some type of hormones that effectivly make the man only horny for WOMEN, thereby making him straight again by fixing the unbalance in his body. I also mentioned that being homosexual could be considered a type of mental illness.
Let's just make this very clear.
  • Homosexuality is only a mental illness in the most meaningless sense of the word.
  • Hormone treatments do not change psychological associations.

Got it?