What should I major in?

arkturus

Hey there guys, I'm currently a freshman in college and I'm trying to pick a major to stay with. I decided to come to the university with a major in chemical engineering, but I'm not interested in the current material (mainly chemistry), nor what is to come (thermo, fluid, etc etc..).

At this point I'm thinking of switching to electrical/computer engineering. My problem is that I don't have a lot of knowledge in the area. I didn't toy around with breadboards in high-school or build computers or amateur robots or anything like that. The reason I'm thinking of switching over to ECE is because of its future prospects. I read a bit of sci-fi, and that's really the only thing that is pulling me to ECE (well, I enjoy physics and math as well). Reading older stuff like Asimov up to newer, non-fictional books by futurists like Ray Kurzweil makes me really interested in the near future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-human

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_uploading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_extension

I'm interested in robotics, AI, the human mind, etc. I want to do something meaningful to push the human race to its peak. There will definitely be some radical changes in our life-time, and I want to be on board. This is why I dropped out of chemical engineering, it didn't seem to tailor to what I wanted to get involved with.

Is ECE the right major? I was thinking about cognitive science, computer science, or even biology, but I believe that ECE seems to works the best in this case.

Any input would be appreciated. I've come to you guys because I'm not sure if any advisers would take me seriously.

I would actually *discourage* this switch. Don't go into something for the sake of ambition, go into something because you truly love it. Ask yourself "would I be happy in this field as a mid-level professor who never gets profiled on TV or has anyone read his work beyond a narrow circle of academics?" Because that's what describes ~99% of working scientists, and the difference between making a huge discovery that gets you recognition and not is pretty much just luck.

If you do what you love (regardless of ambition or dreams of sci-fi futures), you'll do good science and make the small, incremental contributions to science upon which all change is actually based on.

I'm interested in robotics, AI, the human mind, etc. I want to do something meaningful to push the human race to its peak. There will definitely be some radical changes in our life-time, and I want to be on board. This is why I dropped out of chemical engineering, it didn't seem tailor[ed] to what I wanted to get involved with.

Any input would be appreciated. I've come to you guys because I'm not sure if any advis[o]rs would take me seriously.

That all makes sense, at least to me. To get any good out of a board like this it is important for you to talk. Talk about your motivation, your passion, and whatever is problematic in your situation---see where it leads you.

Our advice, at least mine (to speak for myself) cannot be all that specific or reliable because we can't assess you and your situation directly.

Is ECE the right major? I was thinking about cognitive science, computer science, or even biology, but I believe that ECE seems to works the best in this case.

In the evolutionary landscape there are many peaks---not just one. It is good to want to help push the human race up whatever slope. Don't get hypnotized by the ideology (or rhetorical style) of one particular vision of THE peak.

ALL the majors you mentioned can lead to careers that make a significant contribution to getting up some slope. For example maintaining a breathable atmosphere and extracting minerals in an off-earth environment are largely Chem Eng problems. Biofuel and microbial protein production are likely to be critical Chem Eng technologies on earth as well as off.

And of course you listed some other smart picks on your menu---like robotics, like cognitive, like computer science.

The people that get into exciting careers and make a contribution to pushing the human race up some of the many slopes we are climbing will probably be ones who focused on whatever undergrad major and did well in whatever major, and then went on and got a masters in something else.

There is no one strategic optimal major---there are half a dozen majors you could pick. The important thing is to pick one that you can do well in, and get intensely interested in---here and now.

Ideally a major should be something where you can get intense satisfaction out of mastering the current state of the art (and being better than the other students) right here and now. It is by being good at the undergrad level that you get the best options for your masters. Or for hires where you can learn stuff on the job.

I'm currently a freshman in college and I'm trying to pick a major to stay with. I decided to come to the university with a major in chemical engineering, but I'm not interested in the current material (mainly chemistry), nor what is to come (thermo, fluid, etc etc..).

At this point I'm thinking of switching to electrical/computer engineering. My problem is that I don't have a lot of knowledge in the area.

Your saying ECE sounds like you visualize working in robotics. And your comment about chem, thermo, fluid suggests to me that you like to visualize definite objects rather than continuous media like liquids and gasses.

Did you also think about mechanical engineering? Oh wait, probably you did not do a lot of shop, building actual stuff. You sound more like a desk thinker and less like a nuts-bolts machine-shop guy.

ECE actually sounds like a good major, assuming you really get into it and can excel in one or more of the specialties that comprise it.

Why wouldn't some young idealistic faculty in the ECE department be good for you to talk to? You don't need to sign up for an official advisor. You can go over to the building---walk down the hall, read who does what, see who is having office hours, and drop in on somebody who is having open office hours. I would talk to some young faculty, not some old fart. And someone who is involved with a branch of ECE that you think is potentially inspiring---that you can talk to them about.

Not all advisors are equal. I would say make some informal contacts and find someone to talk to whose passions and motivation have some connection with your own---do that first and as soon as you can, before signing up for an official advisor.

Why shouldn't some ECE faculty take you seriously?

WHOAH!!!! I JUST SAW YOUR POST #3! This makes my response here seem to be the wrong one!

My problem is that I don't have a passion, or something I truly love. I have general interests, but that's about it.

At least you have some abstract intellectual passions like Jack Kurzweil---you like to imagine the future and talk about it. You like to read futurology books. Can you write? Maybe you have a passion for communication. Have you ever given a talk in front of a group, or led discussion? Would you like to have a successful blog about something? Have you considered having a blog? Or tried it. What have you wanted to do enough so that you have failed at it once already?

Come on. Don't say you completely lack passion. BTW do you know the Greek derivation of the word Arkturus? An arkt-ouros is a professional of a certain type. It is a respectable, although slightly dangerous, job category. Arktouroi train bears to dance and do tricks. Like getting bears to wear hats and walk on their hind-legs. Maybe this is an omen---perhaps your destiny is to become a highschool science teacher!

(There is no profession I know of that helps more to push humanity up the slopes than the teacher profession, whether college or highschool---or which fails more at its job.)

So talk, Arktouros. Only by writing posts will you get any good out of this board. The only advice that is good is what comes from the inside.

Edited by Martin

I appreciate your in-depth post, Martin. My only fear is of majoring in ECE and not enjoying the material. At this point, I cannot gauge if I'll enjoy the material covered or not, since I have so little experience in the field.

You were definitely right with your MechE comment, though. I wouldn't consider myself a hands-on person. I didn't take a shop class in high-school, and I doubt I would have enjoyed it if I did.

The only other majors I think I'd be interested in are physics, cognitive science, computer science, or biology. The problem I see with a lot of these is that I would theorize more than actually DO something (especially with physics). I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase, "Scientists think, Engineers do." I agree with that statement, which is why I'm in engineering. I want to see things done in my lifetime. I'm also a more extroverted person, and I think I'd feel socially constrained if I majored in a hard-science. Then again, I'm following the stereotype that hard-science majors are stuck in the labs reading books after books.

One of the main things I want from college is to find my passion. It seems like a lot of people have it already, which is quite discouraging for me.

I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase, "Scientists think, Engineers do." I agree with that statement, which is why I'm in engineering. I want to see things done in my lifetime. I'm also a more extroverted person, and I think I'd feel socially constrained if I majored in a hard-science. Then again, I'm following the stereotype that hard-science majors are stuck in the labs reading books after books.

Don't make your decisions based on stereotypes, especially ones that are wrong, as both of these are. While engineers build the applications, scientists are the ones who actually make the discoveries, and there's a LOT of 'inventing' in pure science (consider the LHC).

Also, I've been in both engineering and biology, and IME bio majors are *far* more extroverted, open and fun.

Finally, don't be afraid of changing your major, multiple times, even (as long as you don't run out of money). LOTS of people do so, and many times you can't really know if you like something until you try it.

Don't make your decisions based on stereotypes, especially ones that are wrong, as both of these are. While engineers build the applications, scientists are the ones who actually make the discoveries, and there's a LOT of 'inventing' in pure science (consider the LHC).

Also, I've been in both engineering and biology, and IME bio majors are *far* more extroverted, open and fun.

Finally, don't be afraid of changing your major, multiple times, even (as long as you don't run out of money). LOTS of people do so, and many times you can't really know if you like something until you try it.

Bio is an exception to the stereotype! I should have stated that beforehand, my apologies.

Where have your experiences taken you with engineering and biology? I'm definitely interested in bio as well. Hell, I wasn't offered much chem and physics in high-school, but I got a high dose of bio, and I find molecular and cellular biology to be fascinating.

Bio is an exception to the stereotype! I should have stated that beforehand, my apologies.

Where have your experiences taken you with engineering and biology? I'm definitely interested in bio as well. Hell, I wasn't offered much chem and physics in high-school, but I got a high dose of bio, and I find molecular and cellular biology to be fascinating.

I think I can understand where you are coming from. I am apathetic at this point to most majors simply because I cant decide. Typically I am just making a decisions based on what I think I could do for a career, as in day in and out over years. TO me that seems the best criteria as going through years of college to find out you hate whats on the other end for a job would just suck.