You may see this on Myth Busters

Paul_J

This was performed in my high shool Physics class. I have contacted the show.

You seen it on All In The Family, The Honeymooners, and even on Bill Nye the science guy, and performed in grammer school science classes. This practice of lifting a chair 3 steps back from the wall was passed off as medical fact that a womans spleen was stronger than a mans because she is designed to have children.

This was a trick created by a woman. If a man & woman are the same height, the mans feet are longer, this creates a greater space between the wall and the body compared to the woman, so when he backs up 3 steps, he is on his tippy toes, compared to the woman who is flat footed. When he places his head to the wall, the man has already fallen over but the wall is keeping him on his feet, he can not get back on his feet EVEN WITHOUT THE CHAIR, so the chair is an illusion. This is about the man losing his balance, not strength, because his 3 steps back put all of his body weight on the tips of his toes and again, the woman is flat footed, where all her body weight is evenly distributed throughout her feet. NOTICE THE MANS HEELS ARE NEVER ON THE FLOOR WHERE THE WOMANS ARE. The chair only plays a factor when men that have smaller feet, may not have completely fallen over when he leans his head on the wall, he will lie at an even balance, but when he picks up the chair, the weight of the chair tips him over and he no longer standing, he fell over and his head against the wall is keeping him up, but no one knows that, so he has the illusion of standing on his feet when all of his body has toppled over forward and the wall is keeping him from falling over foward.

In 99% of the cases, if a man removes his shoes, then backs up 3 steps, the extra 3 inches that this will bring him closer to the wall will allow his feet to be more flat footed, where he is not toppled over, and will be able lift the chair and be able to maintain his balance to stand upright. This is an illusion balance trick that was created most likely by a woman that kept it to herself and died with the secret. I give you my life for the statement, this has nothing to do with a womans spleen being stronger because she is designed to have babies.

Edited by Paul_J

I have never heard the explanation of this trick being that women have stronger spleens. The two physics teachers that I have have demonstrated this to the my class. According to them the trick relies on the fact that women have a lower center of mass due to there anatomy, specifically their large pelvic region. While most men have a large chest raising their center of gravity. The lower center of gravity in women allows them to be more balance and to accomplish this task.

So in part the theory that women can do this because they can have babies is correct because it is their larger pelvic region, evolved for the passage of a baby, which helps lower their center of gravity and allows them to pick up the chair.

I apologize for the lack of references the only reliable one which I could find was a USA Today experiment which showed the difference in the center of gravity of men and women. As I said this is the explanation my physic's teachers have given.

This is the way it was described on Bill Nye. I also heard the pelvic region answer too...LOL To think science gave this answer. Your attention is on the chair and not on the heels... I was able to notice men were on thier toes and women were not. It has to with distance from the wall, nothing to with the pelvic region and their ability to have babies.

Again, the mans weight is on his toes and he has the illusion of standing when he fell over. The wall is keeping him up. Proof.... try this... Put shoes on back up 3 of your feet size, straighten legs, bend over, let your head touch the wall. NO chair...forget the chair.... Now try to stand up again without using hands....arms or shoulders.... You can't. Knowing this the creator of this added a chair to turn it into a lifting contest. The guys can't get back on their feet with no chair. When their head hits the wall, if the wall had wheels, if you were able to pull the wall away from the man, most men would fall down because he already fell over. The wall is keeping him up.

Edited by Paul_J