What Are Some Careers In Mathematics?

Mashfiq

I'm choosing high schools and I want to choose a program that will be mostly about a career I want to be in. I might want a career in mathematics, but I want to know what are some specific jobs in mathematics. Can you list some? Also, what are some positive factors about those jobs?

I'm choosing high schools and I want to choose a program that will be mostly about a career I want to be in. I might want a career in mathematics, but I want to know what are some specific jobs in mathematics. Can you list some? Also, what are some positive factors about those jobs?

There are many jobs that require mathematics, ranging throughout many different fields. Here is a CNN article which touches on what they consider to be the top 10.

I decided I want to be an Applied Mathematician. But what do they basically do? (I need to simplify it for my parents.)

There is no job called an applied mathematician, at least as far as I know. An degree that is called Applied (Insert Subject Here) is basically a degree that focuses taking a subject and using it in real life. So an applied mathematician might work in a number of fields. For instance an applied mathematician might do work in economics, biology, or physics. While a pure mathematician would probably spend most of their time working on research into mathematics.

The best example I can give is not of a mathematician, but a friend of mine who has a PhD. in applied physics. Instead of trying to isolate this particle or unify this force, he works to use his physics knowledge to solve everyday problems. Like using the physics of nanoparticles to benefit the medical field.

I decided I want to be an Applied Mathematician. But what do they basically do? (I need to simplify it for my parents.)

The distinction between pure and applied is often fuzzy.

Applied mathematician means lots of things to me. Some area that are usually referred to as applied include

1) Fluid dynamics

2) Mechanics and applied dynamical systems

3)control systems

4) Operations research

and many other things related to engineering and scientific computing.

The mathematical constructions and techniques come from all branches of mathematics. From my small exposure to applied mathematics lots of differential equations, approximation schemes and numerical analysis are employed. But this will depend heavily on what exactly is being studied.

Much of applied mathematics overlaps with mathematical physics and theoretical physics. Though these areas of intellectual pursuit are not usually considered as "applied mathematics".

If you're interested in the "applied" version of mathematics, you might want to read up (or take some courses in) various subjects in physics. In general, physics is a mathematical subject - the models and predictions are made through mathematical models.

A lot of the applications of physics are represented through mathematical models.

I always think that physics gives meaning to mathematics, but I guess mathematicians might argue that point.