coral growth vessels

periphery

It was half a gallon volume.

That system was 100% evaporation restricted, sealed, but liftable lid for maintenance which gave access for planting corals, feeding, water changes

still hasn’t been replicated to this day. It was the only non-evaporating, never topped off reef tank. The CO2 O2 exchange was still there but it was the planted portion on a light cycle opposite to the main display that handled gas exchange

8 pm main 

6 hours ago, periphery said:

It was half a gallon volume.

That system was 100% evaporation restricted, sealed, but liftable lid for maintenance which gave access for planting corals, feeding, water changes

still hasn’t been replicated to this day. It was the only non-evaporating, never topped off reef tank. The CO2 O2 exchange was still there but it was the planted portion on a light cycle opposite to the main display that handled gas exchange

8 pm main 

If you ae doing what you say you are doing then kudos to you. You have done what I would say was impossible. You should distribute this to reef sites where there are people more in the know than I am. I have been out of the reef trade for more than 20 years, probably longer. It would be interesting to see how your ideas were critiqued on reefer sites. 

This guy was very forthcoming about his 3 gallon tank and it does contain filtration and powerheads. He describes his tank and upkeep in detail. 

Very nice pico reef there for sure.  It’s three times more volume than my vase but those are top shelf corals, those frags cost in total probably two grand in today’s pricing-very sharp setup using those advanced lights I’ll bet 

he chooses to use a filter and power head, it’s not that because he uses one my vase had them hidden etc, they're two different approaches to the same ends. The vase only uses an air input for motion it’s far simpler but also noisier than the quiet pump setups 

page 2 here shows a powerhead pump running my sealed tank from 2003, that one from the car picture, very similar to his from recent months.

the link to the pico reefs forum at nano-reef.com was a relay to hundreds and hundreds of copies by other people, if you ever want to see how other people customize the approach here it was / several aren’t using filters other than internal rock surface area, the majority in fact. There are no pictures on the internet of a one or a half gallon reef other than mine before 2002, those are the first.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/forum/37-pico-reef-journals/

Thanks for reading the setup details for the vase, truly I hope you'll set one up with your ocean access/ it would work so well for sure

Edited by periphery

13 hours ago, Moontanman said:

3 gallons of water weigh in at 33.5 pounds, (8.5 pounds per gallon) the gravel weighs in at around two or three pounds, the glass another two or three pounds, the live rock another 2 pounds, substract the displaced water and you are still talking about more than 30 pounds, maybe 35. 

We can see from the pictures that the tank is around 20 cm long, and maybe it’s 12 cm tall and perhaps 8 cm deep.

That’s ~2 liters (edit: i.e. a half gallon, as periphery note). 4.4 lbs if it’s all water. So maybe 7 or 8 lbs, plus a few more for the glass. 10 lbs or so.

Swanson nice call, I too was slightly confused by the three gallon banner on the vid, but then it mentions the smallest reef / much under three gallons. When I briefly clicked on the video, the man working with the reef wasn’t in half a gallon, it was much longer than his hand (now I’m doubting scale heh) half gallon in his large pico reef= seems confusing his tank was 3x this size 

66AF0EFF-4EB8-4F5A-B0C8-80197680C5E4.jpeg.8dc0243ddc89d7f5f4f2443081d2e9b0.jpeg

57B9DFC2-A11D-4E04-80A1-D7CB9E25A3AC.jpeg.8fc701365504904d24acb5770e2018a5.jpeg

Edited by periphery

2 hours ago, swansont said:

We can see from the pictures that the tank is around 20 cm long, and maybe it’s 12 cm tall and perhaps 8 cm deep.

That’s ~2 liters (edit: i.e. a half gallon, as periphery note). 4.4 lbs if it’s all water. So maybe 7 or 8 lbs, plus a few more for the glass. 10 lbs or so.

I was confused about the volume but I still don't believe him, there are no scientific papers or peer review in the aquarium hobby. Anyone can claim anything.  

Why do you need peer review beyond the forum link above showing thirty currently running and discussed pico reefs? Your doubt insert makes it sound like singular/unvetted examples are uploaded to youtube, but above you can click on nano-reef.com pico forum logging live jobs to 2006

Have you clicked that link? In my opinion it'll cure doubt to click it, offer a 30 min read

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/forum/37-pico-reef-journals/

This whole thing is hobbyist driven, with the scientists who make peer reviewed journals and research studying our messy notes

It's not the other way around, where a scientist found the method then hobbyists took it over

You won't see abstracts or peer reviewed journals, asking for them as proof is a dated request/ habit

Youtube alone must have ten thousand recent videos of pico reefs in every size discussed here

Edited by periphery