sulfuric acid

walsh155

fire and pain, often.

bleach and drain cleaner are not the same thing although they both often contain sodium hydroxide. Bleach usually contains hypochlorites as well and so should NOT EVER EVER be mixed with acids (i've told you this several times before... why don't you hear me?). Drain cleaners contain other things too.

Either way, if you were safe in assuming drain cleaner was sodium hydroxide (which isnt always true), then the reaction would be:

[ce] H2SO4 + 2NaOH --> 2H2O + Na2SO4[/ce]

this is a very violent reaction and very dangerous in the wrong hands. Please don't try it.

And i gave you the reactions in your previous topic. That really happens you know. Try it out with 10 ml of each on a windy day OUTSIDE, and wave a bit of gas towards you, that prickly sensation is chlorine. That tiny bit you waft towards you isnt dangerous, but DONT stick your nose in the container!

Try it out with 10 ml of each on a windy day OUTSIDE, and wave a bit of gas towards you, that prickly sensation is chlorine. That tiny bit you waft towards you isnt dangerous, but DONT stick your nose in the container!

I do not recommend trying this without an experts approval, when I was about 10 years old I tried an experiment that created just a little bit of chlorine gas, my nose bled on and off for about a week because of the gas. Granted, a little bit will not kill you or give you permanent disabilities, but if you do it for to long or breath to much it, will give quite a tough time.

I do not recommend trying this without an experts approval, when I was about 10 years old I tried an experiment that created just a little bit of chlorine gas, my nose bled on and off for about a week because of the gas. Granted, a little bit will not kill you or give you permanent disabilities, but if you do it for to long or breath to much it, will give quite a tough time.

Thats why i said waft and doing it on a windy day. Dont do this inside or stick your nose inside the glass or whatever.

Thats why i said waft and doing it on a windy day. Dont do this inside or stick your nose inside the glass or whatever.

Since my bad experience with chlorine gas, it just makes me nervous when somebody else wants to try it.

As the old adage states; first impressions are lasting impressions. :D

I too have had bad experiences with chlorine. At the very least it can make you very sore for a day or two. at the worst it can kill you in a very unpleasant way.

Very true. Even as an experienced chemist, I have had a not-so-nice experience with chlorine gas. I was trying to produce chlorine gas for my element collection and performed the reaction in an Erlenmeyer flask. Not having ever seen Cl2 in person before, I had expected the gas to exhibit the characteristic green color. I knew from reading plenty of literature that it really only shows up green in a fairly strong concentration, but for some reason that escaped me. I put my nose to the top of the flask with the bubbles in it and immediately found out that yes, I did produce chlorine gas. The copious amounts of mucus in my nose, thanks to a sinus infection I was battling, probably kept me from inhaling it all into my lungs. My nose and sinuses were immediately cleared out though, and the sinus infection went away very quickly thereafter. Yes, it helped get rid of a bug, but I am never doing that again. My chlorine gas is now a sample that is quite concentrated, and even a liquified sample, securely sealed away never to be opened again.

Very true. Even as an experienced chemist, I have had a not-so-nice experience with chlorine gas. I was trying to produce chlorine gas for my element collection and performed the reaction in an Erlenmeyer flask. Not having ever seen Cl2 in person before, I had expected the gas to exhibit the characteristic green color. I knew from reading plenty of literature that it really only shows up green in a fairly strong concentration, but for some reason that escaped me. I put my nose to the top of the flask with the bubbles in it and immediately found out that yes, I did produce chlorine gas. The copious amounts of mucus in my nose, thanks to a sinus infection I was battling, probably kept me from inhaling it all into my lungs. My nose and sinuses were immediately cleared out though, and the sinus infection went away very quickly thereafter. Yes, it helped get rid of a bug, but I am never doing that again. My chlorine gas is now a sample that is quite concentrated, and even a liquified sample, securely sealed away never to be opened again.

Ah, so that is how to cure the sniffles! :rolleyes:

if you add sulfuric acid to drain cleaner in little amounts it will be safe as a experiment

Adding dangerous compounds to a solution that contains unknown compounds could lead to dangerous reactions. People who play with cleaners without understanding the chemistry of their components usually end up being hurt.

The compounds used in most cleaning agents are usually dangerous enough on their own, mixing them without the proper understanding is not recommended as it can lead to explosions, production of toxic gasses etc. DO NOT attempt it unless you know what chemicals it contains and understand how they will react.