Process of oobleck!

khubaib_95

Hi friend. Iam khubaib. Iam new to this forum. I'm having a science fair by the second week of november. But i have to submit it by tomorrow. I chose the oobleck as my project. Well could you please explain me how the corn starch works with normal water, salt water and sugar water(Experiment with explanation). And how much quantity we must need for each experiment. This is a comparitive experiment, so i am testing with different solution. And also tell me how it works with other liquids like milk and some others ( which one you know). Please, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

just to clear things up by 'oobleck' (the only mention of this i can find is in a Dr. Seuss childrens book) do you mean cornstarch and water mix as indicated later in your post?

you may wish to look up non-newtonian fluids in your research specifically dilatent or shear-thickening non-newtonian fluids.

i searched it too. But what iam saying is actually not about a non-newtonian liquid. Iam asking what happens if we mix cornstarch with milk or vinegar. And why does it happens so? It becomes a non-newtonian liquid only if it is mixed with water.

Iam asking what happens if we mix cornstarch with milk or vinegar.

and i'm saying try it and see. this is the point of experimentation. if you don't know something, try it out and then draw some conclustions from it.

also, milk is a non-newtonian fluid on its own without anything added.

khubaib_95 - after reading post 2, I assume you typed "Non-Newtonian Fluid" into google, no?. The first hit gives a link to wiki's site which gives you some info explaining non-newtonian fluids, did it not?. There is really no point in IA writing you an essay about when it has already been done under that first hit on the search engine.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on you - maybe you are very young and haven't learnt about search engines yet. If so then I appologise. Go to http://www.google.com and type "NON-NEWTONIAN FLUIDS" into the space provided and there will be lots of information for you to read.

Lol. Dont think i don't know anything abt search engines. I have searched from head to tail abt the oobleck in google but i cant find one which meet my criteria. Actually the problem is you cant understand what i say. I know what does non- newtonian fluid means and i have did experiments with that. But i want to make comparisons with some other liquids. So here is the result of cornstarch with warm water:-

I took 500 grams of cornstarch and mixed it with 200 ml of water. I found out that it completely looks like a liquid but has solid properties more. But that collidal sollution with normal water didnt look exactly like liquid. Well could you guys please explain me why it has more non-newtonian property if it reacts with warm water rather that with normal water?? This is what i ask from you guys...

And Drp i am not small boy =))

Sorry if i had ever been harsh with you

In most liquids there is a correlation between temperature and viscosity - raise the temperature and the viscosity drops. How this relationship is effected in a non-newtonian liquid I personally do not know. I would just report your findings as you see them in the experiment - unless someone else wants to write the essay.

Lol. Dont think i don't know anything abt search engines. I have searched from head to tail abt the oobleck in google but i cant find one which meet my criteria. Actually the problem is you cant understand what i say. I know what does non- newtonian fluid means and i have did experiments with that. But i want to make comparisons with some other liquids. So here is the result of cornstarch with warm water:-

We're all volunteers here - helping people out.

The reason people just kept repeating the same thing over and over again was that you did not tell us that you read anything about non-newtonian liquids.

Also, you told us "to tell you how it works". It's not how things work here.

You either ask a specific question, or you make a statement.

Example for a specific question:

What's the relation between temperature and viscosity, and how does that count for non-Newtonian liquids as well?

Example for a statement (I'm not saying whether this is right or wrong!):

Newtonian liquids have a lower viscosity at higher temperatures.

It's usually best to add a question to that statement ("is this true?", or "what do you think?").

I took 500 grams of cornstarch and mixed it with 200 ml of water. I found out that it completely looks like a liquid but has solid properties more. But that collidal sollution with normal water didnt look exactly like liquid. Well could you guys please explain me why it has more non-newtonian property if it reacts with warm water rather that with normal water?? This is what i ask from you guys...

I don't understand what "collidal sollution" (colloidal solution) you're talking about?

You said you tested 2 temperatures. So, I assume you prepared 2 times 500 g conrnstarch + 200 ml of water? One at room temperature, one at "high" temperature? (What temperature? Boiling point of water?)

What were your observations in the 1st experiment, and what were your observations in the 2nd experiment? What were the differences?

Please answer all these questions - then we can help you from there.

And make sure to ask the right questions.

p.s. I also did not know the answer to your questions, but I found it in 2 minutes in google. Just use the right keywords (which were very logical, really - no rocketscience needed), and it will be the 1st hit in the list.

Edited by CaptainPanic
adding the p.s.