Are we in the real world?

Soulja

A question never to be answered....we had this discussion in our philosophy class as well.

My opinion: We will never be able to answer this question. Anyway, I don't whether I am really living or whether I am just imagining to be living since the impression I have is what I define as life.

Well im writing a treatise right now. Ima try to prove that there is no reality, and that it doesnt exist. I know its a paradox, but im gonna try to make a theory that gets out of the paradox. And you can diss me all you want, but ima complete this before i die, and its gonna be bigger than Einstein's papers! ;) "I have a dream" as Dr. King said.

Originally posted by Soulja

Well im writing a treatise right now. Ima try to prove that there is no reality, and that it doesnt exist. I know its a paradox, but im gonna try to make a theory that gets out of the paradox. And you can diss me all you want, but ima complete this before i die, and its gonna be bigger than Einstein's papers! ;) "I have a dream" as Dr. King said.

So let me wish you good lack. Tell me when you publish it...:D

Here's some of it: (Not grammar checked or anything)

Is this world real? That has been a question asked by many before and never answered. Before we get to this question, let us look at the definition of real which is “Existing objectively in the world regardless of subjectivity or conventions of thought or language.” Before we get into what is real and what is not real, where do we get the idea of real? The mind created the idea. So, did the idea of real ‘exist’ before the mind created it? The definition of exist is To have actual being; be real. So something cannot exist unless it is real. The definition of create is To cause to exist; bring into being. So creation causes to exist, and to exist something must be real. This proves the idea of ‘real’ had to of existed before the mind created it. But if it did exist before the mind created it, when was the idea of ‘real’ created.

So, What is an idea then? An idea is according to Kant:

A concept of reason that is being beyond the limits of experience and hence unknowable but not relying on or derived from observation or experiment.

.... There is alot more, but im not giving it all away... but in the end, i dont even think 'real' is 'real'. Theres a paradox for ya.

Originally posted by liljohnak

why would you want to prove something that is impossible to prove. for it is disproving your exsistance and you have an exsistance dont you? im alive to reply to your letter. you can try but dont get your hopes up on that one:D

Prove that you are real then. I mean really sit down and think of real and unreal and existence and you will end up seeing that the concept of 'real' is illogical in alot of ways, and the same with 'unreal'. It is probably beyond the minds comprehention, so i may never prove anything and i may prove something.

• 5 weeks later...

Well defining real may simply be a matter of symantics and is irrelevant when considering what philosophers consider 'real'. Most popular ones agreed that the 'real' world only exists according to what our sensory data tells us. If I see a green tree, it may not exist, but I see it nonetheless. My idea is that there is a real world because things actually DO happen when no one is around to see/hear/touch/taste/smell it. So this world exists independent of our minds and experiences. The world continues to experience time even when we are not witnessing it.. the popular 'tree falling in the forest' question is easily answered. Of course it makes a sound. I can prove the real world exists, and we can experience it... so we must therefore exist in this real world because others are a part of MY real world, and I must assume that every individual feels the individuality that I feel. So I hope that I am too part of THEIR world... and that means that we are all 'real' because we have decided that we are real. And we could argue about the definition of 'real', but it is only a word and so it is defined relative to our experiences. And our experience tells us that real is the definition of what we know to exist and be experienced. Conclusion: We are real because we have all agreed that real is what we experience, and any other experience is foreign, so only exists in the mind and is therefore an unreal experience.

in order to answer this question you have to first think about what you would accept as a proof of reality. Generally speaking people accept empiricism as reality, with the exception of religious people who have a god or spirits of some sort who are generally regarded to have no empirical existance whatsoever, people accept the view of empirical reality, though they often say 'prove you're real' without accepting it. Generally though they accept a fist to the nose as a pretty good indicator that the offended scientist really is quite quite real.

Originally posted by Soulja

Prove that you are real then. I mean really sit down and think of real and unreal and existence and you will end up seeing that the concept of 'real' is illogical in alot of ways, and the same with 'unreal'.

Prove that you are not real or existing. What I think that has struck Soulja is what happens when you think to hard about something. Soulja is searching for something so deep and so complex (since he will not accept that he exists) that his mind has tricked him into believing that nothing exists.

If you really are serious about this, Soulja, then I have a question. Were you ever loved as a kid or felt attatched to something personal outside yourself or did your parents constantly drop you on your head so much that you wanted to believe the pain was unreal so you believed it was really unreal?

Dude, you need a hug or something cause youur brain is wacked!:loser:

You cannot prove that this is the real world.

You can only prove that it isn't, and you cannot do either from first principles (as in any argument).

All other arguments on the issue are either wrong or bastardisations of those.

You're also using overprecise definitions of words. English is a subtle language, and this must be reflected in your arguments.

ps Cogito ergo sum for those of you talking about existance rather than the issue of 'reality'.

You are wrong that you cannot prove that this is the real world. Read my proof again carefully and you will see that the real world is a definition. It is defined as the state of our existence, and we must rely on our definitions because they are all that exist in our intellect. I could sit here and say, "Oh the sound you hear is not really sound... it is being transferred to your mind by a secret elf hiding in the bushes. But he disappears if you look for him." That would be just as pointless as arguing about us being real or not. We have decided that the real world is our state of existence, and if any of us escape the Matrix (hahaha) then we can redefine our lives, but until then... this IS the real world, by our own definition.

Elves have never even read the Bible because they have nver read the Bible because they have nver read the Bible because they have nver read the Bible because they have nver read the Bible...

because they don't even know that it exists.

I disagree. before I was discharged from the empire we visited a planet of elves that knew quite alot of quotes from the bible. But then we killed them and blew up their planet with the death star. So yeah your right in a way their are no elves that know of the bible anymore.