Help!What to do..

On your desktop, double click My Computer icon. Highlight your C:\ drive and right click. Click Properties and goto Tools Tab. Run the Scandisk/Errorcheck and then run the Defragmentor.

After that is done, press Start button, goto run and type msconfig. This will allow you to pick which applications run at startup by going to the Startup Tab. Turn off things like Quicktime, Adobe Reader etc. to regain some CPU cycles.

If you are using Windows 98/98se, ME and XP it is included, if you are using Windows 2000 or 95 you can download it here:

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

Under Windows 2000/XP you must logon as Administrator to run or highlight the msconfig.exe and hold shift-control and right click. Your menu will now have the Run As option, allowing you to run it without logging out and back on as Admin.

Last time I checked, the good ol' Microsoft had a recommendation to reformat an HDD about once a year or so.

I would recommend that you pick up a little app called "Norton Ghost." This allows you to make images of your harddrive partition and then restore them in under 5 minutes. If I lose a harddrive due to virus, hacker or hardware failure, I can restore my system in less then 5 minutes with my OS, drivers and all my appz with the settings that I prefer in minutes.

It is the ONLY Norton product that I use, just the ease of system restoration makes it worth the $70 by far.

http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/