What causes bad memory?

daniellos3

My memory is bad. Possible reasons?

REPLY: Some of the reasons for poor memory are : drug and alcohol use, stress, lack of sleep, trauma such as a serious injury or the loss of a loved one. Anyone of those factors alone could result in serious memory problems. There are some diseases or chronic conditions that would require a medical examination to determine. Stress alone can literally kill you. ...Dr.Syntax

Some people will have a bad memory for many of the reasons already stated. However everyone has memory lapses - they might not be so bad. Some people notice it more than other. Young people seem to just pass it off as lack of sleep, drink tiredness, boredom etc.. whereas the old can get a bit paranoid about it and they put it down to getting old. (Sorry - can't remember where I read this - maybe New Scientist YEARS ago I think) - The thing that the article I read suggested was that the old people that blamed their memory loss on old age were in the most part, just as scatterbrained as they were when they were younger, but shrugged it off during youth.

What I'm trying to say is (I guessing you're young not old), when you get older - remember that you were forgetfull when you were younger so you won't worry that you are loosing youre mind. You might actually get a bit sharper - which in turn might cause you to think and dwell on the fact that you forgot something and start theorising about it being due to old oge - whereas you are most likely to be youre same old scatterbrained self that has been the same for years. (Unless that person actually is suffering from Alziemers or something, but the point is that is not the norm).

lol - I hope that made sense, I think I might be begining to waffle more as I am getting older.

Alcohol, lack of sleep, overuse of various drugs and drastic non-use of them (rebounds can cause what appears to be memory loss), lack of reviewing previously known material, and more.

I suspect that's for people over 21.:cool:

Stress typically can screw with a person. Stress can be caused by a variety of things. I will say, however, that some people have enhanced cognitive abilities while drinking. This could be caused by a reduction of stress, which may be directly related to the relaxation that alcohol can give. Other than that, excessive drinking can deteriorate brain and organ tissue.

In general, it tends to do with cognitive abilities and long-term potentiation.

You need to keep those synapses communicating with each other.

I have recently been doing research on the possibility that suppression of various memories could cause a person to have decreased cognitive and recall abilities overtime. I relate this to those who have shown exemplary eidetic memory; they tend to recall everything and feel as though time never moves: Even how things felt in the physical reality tend to be remembered. Such a thing had been similarly found in World War veterans when they came back from the war. It tends to be related to post-traumatic stress disorder.

Edited by Genecks

Alcohol, lack of sleep, overuse of various drugs and drastic non-use of them (rebounds can cause what appears to be memory loss), lack of reviewing previously known material, and more.

I suspect that's for people over 21.:cool:

Stress typically can screw with a person. Stress can be caused by a variety of things. I will say, however, that some people have enhanced cognitive abilities while drinking. This could be caused by a reduction of stress, which may be directly related to the relaxation that alcohol can give. Other than that, excessive drinking can deteriorate brain and organ tissue.

In general, it tends to do with cognitive abilities and long-term potentiation.

You need to keep those synapses communicating with each other.

I have recently been doing research on the possibility that suppression of various memories could cause a person to have decreased cognitive and recall abilities overtime. I relate this to those who have shown exemplary eidetic memory; they tend to recall everything and feel as though time never moves: Even how things felt in the physical reality tend to be remembered. Such a thing had been similarly found in World War veterans when they came back from the war. It tends to be related to post-traumatic stress disorder.

REPLY: From some of what you discussed I think you would be interested in Dr. Janov`s work. For a quick overview go to :[ http://www.primaltherapy.com ]. ...Dr.Syntax