Quantum Physics

trentxz

I have to write a 2000 word essay due tom on this question. It is for a Uni foundation unit and the topic is completely unrelated to my study course (yes I do think that it is pointless). I have learned the basic of quantum physics but really do not want to have to get into detail. I have done the intro and am up to 1000 words. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any ideas will help a lot as I will elaborate on them. Philosophical concepts are ok as well.

The question:

Why should all university students, and not just those studying physics, understand the ideas associated with quantum mechanics?

Cheers

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

hmmm 7 views but no repies now im even more worried lol

dont worry, pay attention to word 'Quantum', look it up in dicitionary if you dont already know. I am a chemistry student and I never did physic before starting university and trust me you do a lot of quantum mechanics in physcial chemistry. Why, well atoms, molecules are very very tiny and our everyday observation give us a misleading picture in general so we use quantum mechanics to help us understand what is possible and what isnt even if the impossible may actually be possible in the real 'quantum' world.

hope this helps you to think about it, also there are some books that will also help you with your essay. maybe google 'quantum mechanics and real world' who know something interesting might show up.

good luck.

I have to write a 2000 word essay due tom on this question. It is for a Uni foundation unit and the topic is completely unrelated to my study course (yes I do think that it is pointless).

Someone will probably help you out a bit. The physicists here are very knowledgeable, but you didn't give them a LOT of time, did you?

I wanted to respond to this because your attitude needs a little adjustment. Don't get me wrong, i mean no offence, i'm a chemistry instructor and I often encounter this sort of thing.

Perhaps the best way to show the error in your thinking is to make a suggestion:

If you feel this topic is pointless, don't do it. See what happens.

Now you know what will happen, of course. You'll fail. So at the very least, the topic has ONE point: to get you through this course. However you might even be wrong about it being totally unrelated. Most fields are related to each other in some way.

Either give up your course or learn to love it.

@chem expert

I didn't have a lot of time because I had to re do it I originally did a topic on the "will to power". Obviously Quantum physics relates to all things because everything is made of matter and sub atomic particles. I actually find the subject of quantum mechanics/theory very interesting. what annoys me is when to pass psychology honors I have to write some random 2000 word essay on some obscure philosophical question from a foundation unit when I am having enough trouble trying to wade through the mountains of stats work I need to complete that is actual psych work..

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
dont worry, pay attention to word 'Quantum', look it up in dicitionary if you dont already know. I am a chemistry student and I never did physic before starting university and trust me you do a lot of quantum mechanics in physcial chemistry. Why, well atoms, molecules are very very tiny and our everyday observation give us a misleading picture in general so we use quantum mechanics to help us understand what is possible and what isnt even if the impossible may actually be possible in the real 'quantum' world.

hope this helps you to think about it, also there are some books that will also help you with your essay. maybe google 'quantum mechanics and real world' who know something interesting might show up.

good luck.

Thanks didn't need luck after that ;)

Quantum mechanics is the basis of a large fraction of basic physics understanding of anything discovered since around the 1920's. Not being familiar with these ideas means not understanding the basic science behind the transistor and integrated circuit, the laser, and by extension not understanding a fair amount of today's technology. Not understanding would leave you more susceptible to being hoodwinked by charlatans (like Deepak Chopra) who bandy the term "quantum" about like it's magic and/or mystical.

It's part of the broader question of why science is important. And on that subject, here is a quote I like:

Separating truth from fraudulent mumbo-jumbo is just one reason why science is important.

Which I believe is from

http://whyscience.co.uk/