Closed or Open Source

toastywombel

Linux supports much more software than mac, guaranteed, and it's free :).

You are aware that Wine and Crossover are both available for Mac as well, right?

And are you seriously going to compare a native build of an app like Photoshop running on Mac versus trying to run the Windows version via WINE/Crossover on Linux?

Sorry, that's not a valid comparison. While you "can" run it, the result on Linux is not a desirable one.

To get the degree of emulation required to even make this feasible you need Crossover, which is commercial software.

Finally when I said Linux is infinitely cheaper, that is technically mathematically correct. Let me explain.

You are aware that division by zero does not result in infinity, right?. Division by zero does not have a meaningful answer.

If you had ever used compiz-fusion, you would know windows 7 isn't nearly as pretty. And compiz-fusion isn't a mod, its more a third party program that utilizes the capabilities of GNOME or KDE (The desktop environments available for linux)

check these links out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq_kk2BEG4M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Q3eHuC0MY

I would like to see windows do any of that, and still be able to boot off of a live-cd.

You are aware that Wine and Crossover are both available for Mac as well, right?

And are you seriously going to compare a native build of an app like Photoshop running on Mac versus trying to run the Windows version via WINE/Crossover on Linux?

Sorry, that's not a valid comparison. While you "can" run it, the result on Linux is not a desirable one.

To get the degree of emulation required to even make this feasible you need Crossover, which is commercial software.

You are aware that division by zero does not result in infinity, right?. Division by zero does not have a meaningful answer.

Well you stick to Mac which costs more than anything else and really does not deliver.

And you said the result in Linux is not a desirable one? Thats a loaded statement. With wine-0.9.58, Photoshop CS2 works really well. And the latest versions of Photoshop have some bugs but thats because with emulation it takes time for the programmers to work this out. I guarantee, give it time and Photoshop will eventually work very well with Wine.

But why use Photoshop when Gimp does nearly the same job for $0 and can run on 128mb of Ram. I'd like to see the latest versions of Photoshop do that.

And yes I know dividing by zero is undefined, because zero can go into any number an infinite amount of times. I don't know how many times I have to admit that I used fuzzy math. I even said on the same post you quoted that it was not exactly right.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
:eek:

That is freakin' amazing!!!!

I wants it...

Any help?

Well I don't know how much experience you have with Linux, but if you don't have any you most likely will want to do a dual-boot. And read some tutorials. As for getting Ubuntu you can burn a live-cd from here.

With the Live CD you can just put it in and boot it up and you can try Ubuntu without installing it.

I would recommend you reading these articles before switching though.

http://www.pcmech.com/article/windows-to-ubuntu-transition-guide/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Well I have a dual boot with linux and Win7 already. The lovely JillSwift helped me with that a month or so ago.

But Linux has never looked as good as that. What am I not doing right?

Edit: I have Kubuntu 9.04

Well I am not well vetted on the KDE desktop environment (Kubuntu), but if you are willing to install Ubuntu I could offer my help. If you would rather stick with Kubuntu you should most likely ask Jill since she was the one who initially helped you with the dual-boot.

If you do decide you would like my help just let me know through a pm, its probably best if we stay on-topic and I wouldn't think offering you extensive Linux help on this thread would be considered on-topic. Gotta follow da rules :).

XP/Vista on the other hand require reformatting your hard-drive every six-months

Yes, that's absolutely 100% true. That's why you should use Ubuntu instead: You only have to reinstall when the update breaks your system.

(about every 6 months or so)

Awesome. I'm glad to hear that it Works For You.

I just back up ~ and then install the new version when it comes out. It doesn't bother me one bit. I'm just glad I don't have to install any antivirus or firewalls. How sad is it when you have to rely on third parties to secure your OS?

actually with ubuntu(and most *nix distributions) you have an inbuilt firewall.

also, as there are no services listening on any port anyway, you don't need a firewall to restrict incoming connections as nothing is going to do anything about an incoming connection attempt.

if you set up a server or something that listens on any port then itis a smart idea to put some firewall rules in place just incase an exploit for that service pops up.

not a flaw with linux, just a good security practice.

i've got an ubuntu sytem that has never been reinstalled. getting onto two years now. fully updated even up all the versions.

I remember during what I believe was the move from hardy to intrepid they switched all device references from files to UUIDs and it royally hosed my LVM+MD RAID :(

A random member drive ended up getting attached to a phantom md array, and the real array never started, at least on its own. To restore my RAID I had to remove the drive from the phantom array, shut that array down, then reassemble my real RAID with all drives. Unfortunately I had to do this every time the system booted, and each time it required a RAID resync.

This is perhaps the one case I've ever seen of "re-install Linux, problem solved." After getting tired of having to manually reassemble the RAID whenever the box went down, I blew away its current install and threw on a fresh install of Jaunty. Haven't had any problems since.

I emailed the LKML about it and they admitted it was a nasty problem which at the very least needed to be better documented.

Here's why you should use a Mac:

lz1.gif

ZelBar01.JPG

ZelBar02.JPG

ZelBar03.JPG

ZelBar04.JPG

Hahahah!

You ran out of facts to support your argument I am guessing, and instead of giving a logical argument you personally attack me by inferring I wont get laid as much as you because I use Linux. And you do it using photos that look like they were drawn by a five year old, very mature.

So tell me bascule, what studies support this rudimentary, child-like picture book statement?

Furthermore, from my experience with women, they do not go for guys who walk into bars and talk about their operating systems, or bald guys with clown shoes.

Finally, that post was completely off-topic and insulting. That violates several rules of this forum.

Yes, that's absolutely 100% true. That's why you should use Ubuntu instead: You only have to reinstall when the update breaks your system.

(about every 6 months or so)

That is a totally mis-leading statement. Linux systems stay stable far longer than windows systems. That is why most servers primarily use a Linux based system, and most supercomputers use Linux based systems. So was your other statement about relying on third-party programs for anti-virus protection.

In-fact many Windows users rely on ad-aware to prevent mal-ware/ad-ware as opposed to the built in Windows protection which takes up loads of resource space when activated.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I think it was humor.

Insults are often humor at someone else's expense. In this case mine.

Edited by toastywombel
Consecutive posts merged.

You ran out of facts to support your argument I am guessing

I started on Slackware 2.3, with a 1.2.8 kernel. Yourself?

As a linux zealot myself, i found the cartoon quite funny.

I think the fanbase is largely Linux users, and if I had to guess it was created by a self-deprecating Linux user.

I guess some people don't have a sense of humor.

That is a totally mis-leading statement. Linux systems stay stable far longer than windows systems.

I apologize. I was only responding (in a half-joking manner) to your own misleading statements. If you do some reading, you'll find that many people have problems with Ubuntu's updates. Many users don't even attempt to update before doing a full reinstall.

And I wasn't talking about servers or supercomputers. Ubuntu is a desktop distribution. Desktops have a lot of crap that servers don't: X, gnome/kde/etc, compiz, sound, wifi... It's most of these things that cause instability, not the kernel itself.

The other statements were fully joking. It was a page right out of the Linux Youth Handbook. Many Linux zealots bash Windows despite being completely ignorant about it. "Windows 7 needs to be reinstalled every 6 months and blue screens twice per day and still uses FAT16 which needs to be defragmented ever time you write a file and gets owned within 90 seconds of connecting to the internet even with a firewall!"

And I wasn't talking about servers or supercomputers. Ubuntu is a desktop distribution.

Ubuntu has a server distribution that works well.

In other news, Slate has declared Windows 7 as the best OS on the market:

http://www.slate.com/id/2233294/

I just got a new workstation, and my planned configuration is an OS X host with a Windows 7 guest.

s. If you do some reading, you'll find that many people have problems with Ubuntu's updates. Many users don't even attempt to update before doing a full reinstall.

!"

I use Linux Mint 7 which is based on Ubuntu, Mint's update program, MintUpdate, gives all the listed updates (including Ubuntu ones) a risk rating from 1 to 5...1 - 3 is low risk and recommended, 4 and 5 are experimental/ high risk if you don't know what you are doing. It works well and I have never had a problem as I leave it to only install updates with risk factor 1-3. Apparently, Ubuntu doesn't grade it's updates like Mint does.

Linux Mint is basically a perfected Ubuntu, but not so bleeding edge.

First, I would like to apologize to everyone for getting so offended earlier. Bad day, but still not an excuse for me getting so upset. I know you were just joking bascule. :)

Anyway, I think each of the operating systems serves a specific purpose. Windows is obviously for the gamers and casual computer users.

Mac is very good for the artist, photo editing and video editing is great, plus it is a beautiful operating system that is written very well.

Ubuntu is great for the people who can't afford that latter two, and it provides amazing desktop customization, and Linux is very good for servers.

Slate.com rated Windows 7 the best OS on the market? Thats interesting, I am looking forward to trying it out eventually, when I get the $120. I have a friend who bought it and he only has one complaint so far, vent does not work, but I am sure they will fix that soon all new OS's have bugs.

Windows is obviously for the gamers and casual computer users.

For what it's worth, much of the software I use at work (and I'm not just talking about Office/productivity software) is only available for Windows.

For example, you're not going to find a Linux version of something like this:

http://www.elecard.com/products/products-pc/consumer/streameye-tools/

So you might add "professionals" to your list there...