Will Hypnosis Help Me Remember A Language

When I was a kid, I lived in Moscow and started my primary education there. And as you can guess I picked up the Russian Language pretty fast and soon I was fluent in both written and spoken russian. But I only stayed there for 4 years, and then I had to move back to my home country. And then I didn't speak a single word of Russian for another 5 years. Mostly because there was noone else to talk to. I have completely forgotton to speak Russian now. And as you can imagine I just realised what a tradegy it is to just forget a whole language. I am sure if i tried to learn it again from scratch, I can learn it pretty quick. But I am a lazy person. I am a minimum effort, maximum effect kind of guy. So I was just wondering if I was put under hypnosis, would it help me remember Russian.

Cheers

I am a minimum effort, maximum effect kind of guy.

And you're studying maths? Interesting.

So I was just wondering if I was put under hypnosis, would it help me remember Russian.

While I do not believe in Hypnosis, that is the underlying idea behind it.

So I was just wondering if I was put under hypnosis' date=' would it help me remember Russian.

Cheers[/quote']

Probably. But an easier way would be to find somebody who speaks Russian fluently and to get them to hold a conversation with you (in Russian). You might find that it begins to come back quite quickly without hypnosis. You will still have your knowledge of Russian, you have just lost the traces to it as they have not been reinforced for so long. It just requires the right stimulus to re-establish the links. You wouldn't be learning, you'd just be remembering.

• 3 weeks later...
I am a minimum effort, maximum effect kind of guy. So I was just wondering if I was put under hypnosis, would it help me remember Russian.

Minimum effort, maximum effect... I like your way of thinking ;)

I have heard of some hypnosis stories where people were supposedly remembering past lives and one of the pieces of evidence for this was they were speaking another language. If this is true, I see no reason why it wouldnt help you remember Russian. But, like glider said, it may be easier to just have a conversation with someone in Russian.

But, like glider said, it may be easier to just have a conversation with someone in Russian.

Easier said than done. My uncle still speaks russian sometimes, and i don't know what hes on about. I have a really wonderful anecdote:

when i was in russia, we used to have reading tests in school, and it was basically seeing how many words you can read in a minute. It was my go, but i didnt read much.

When the results came out the same day, the head of the school brought me infront of my class and praised me for my reading, saying that it wasnt the speed, but the expression and the intonation of my reading. and so i got full marks in my test. I was so proud and still proud of that moment. Beating someone in their own game, on their own backyard.

When I was a kid' date=' I lived in Moscow and started my primary education there. And as you can guess I picked up the Russian Language pretty fast and soon I was fluent in both written and spoken russian. But I only stayed there for 4 years, and then I had to move back to my home country. And then I didn't speak a single word of Russian for another 5 years. Mostly because there was noone else to talk to. I have completely forgotton to speak Russian now. And as you can imagine I just realised what a tradegy it is to just forget a whole language. I am sure if i tried to learn it again from scratch, I can learn it pretty quick. But I am a lazy person. I am a minimum effort, maximum effect kind of guy. So I was just wondering if I was put under hypnosis, would it help me remember Russian.

Cheers[/quote']

Yes when I was young, I learnt madarin

But now I have totally forgotten it, And Don't want to learn again.

Is this is the same consequence for all people?

I took a forensic psychology course and the textbook had a section on hypnosis and memory. A group of psychologist gathered all of the research and came up with the conclusion that hypnosis did not help to recall lost memories. I agree with glider as well. If you study in the traditional way by speaking it, studying vocabulary, and watching Russian movies you will not have to learn from scratch, your past experience will greatly increase your ability to pick it up.

I read a book once where the researchers claimed they could increase the rate of learning a foreign language by like 300%. They played Baroque music with a certain rhythm that produced strong alpha waves and then read foreign vocabulary words to that rhythm. The name of the book is "Superlearning."

yeah. it looks so much more impressive when u can speak languages.

if i could speak russian: then these are the languages i can speak

1)English

2)Nepalese

3)Russian (if i could)

4)Indian

5)Urdu

You are very good. I only can speak two languages.

I think I really need to learn madarin in the future.

look up a small country called Nepal, small in size, big in heart, where the legendary Gurkhas come from.

I did a lil bit of french in school as well by the way. absolutely terrible at it., Got a D in GCSE. which is no small feat, as i came to london and they put me staight in year 10 french, i had only two years to prepare, and i didnt speak even a single word, whil the other students had been learning for years.

first of all, most of the languages i speak aren't "Major" languages as to say.

Nepalese is my mother tongue

then English which is a must it todays world

then you have indian, and pple in nepal and brought up watching indian films and listening to indian songs. so you pick it up from there

then by some coincidence, urdu is very similar to indian.

So not much effort there. would be very happy if i could remember russian again.

While I do not believe in Hypnosis' date=' that is the underlying idea behind it.[/quote']

Really there isnt a lot to 'believe', hypnosis is just like a dream, you are made to belive a dream is real right?, but in reality if you had come across a situation in real life that was like one in a dream you would think it most bizarre, that is like hypnosis.

The reason behind 'forgetting' after short periods of time is usually because the brain has not adsorbed it properlly. So in hypnosis because your concentration is wholly on what you are doing, you remember. It wont be a miracle cure, but will work better than revision (if not more expensive).