Aspirin + NaOH

Rob

OK, a titration question for you here:

"In order to determine the aspirin content of a commercial aspirin tablet, a tablet weighing 0.400g was dissolved in aqueous ethanol and titrated with 0.100M NaOH solution: 16.7cm^3 of the NaOH was required to reach the end point. Under the conditions of the titration, only the Carboxylic acid group reacts with the NaOH".

Obviously, the question goes on to ask about moles in the aspirin, and the % by mass of aspirin in the tablet, but what I need to know is what is the balanced equation for this reaction?

NaOH + COOH -> ?

Cheers, Thanks for your help.:)

It would probably just react to give the salt of sodium and aspirin (sodium acetylsalicylate?)

NaOH + CH3COOC6H4COOH --> CH3COOC6H4COONa + H2O

I would think the NaOH would break apart the ester though (to sodium acetate and sodium salicylate)

It would probably just react to give the salt of sodium and aspirin (sodium acetylsalicylate?)

NaOH + CH3COOC6H4COOH --> CH3COOC6H4COONa + H2O

I would think the NaOH would break apart the ester though (to sodium acetate and sodium salicylate)

however, the question explicitly states that ONLY the COOH group reacts with the NaOH at the conditions of the titration.

• 9 years later...

It states "only the COOH group reacts with the NaOH" because the Acetyl group also reacts with it naturally, which forms sodium acetate (as far as I'm concerned) besides the sodium salicylate, which makes the whole reaction a 1:2 ratio in regards to Aspirin : NaOH. But when only the COOH group reacts with it as the task says, you don't have to take the Na-Acetate part into consideration, the ratio of the reactants are 1:1 I suppose, resulting in: C8H7O2COOH + NaOH = C8H7O2COONa + H2O.