Big lack of science these days

nec209

Is it just me or has other people seen this too.Looking at alot of message boards and yahoo groups , yahoo answers there seems to be alot of lack of science.I mean there are some smart people :-)but than there is alot of people that lack science.

Even the news ,media and government lack science.And there seems to be a big lack of science how the human body works and medicine.

And there seems to be lack of facts given. One person ask quetion what is step cell and person lacks science say it is killing a baby for cloning .Than all other people read it and when next quetion comes up what is step cell the same thing happence and more people learn that fact that is not true.

I had one person say DNA is not in the cell but cell in the DNA.Other people saying to me I hate medicine that is not natural. And other saying cloning and stem cell is bad that is not what god wants and you playing god and is not natural.But have no problems with organ transplants , going to doctor ,taking drugs or having electronic implant. No problem with AI research ,electronics in humans , organ transplants so on.

I had one person that does not even know what red blood cells are , white blood cells are and platelets are.Than I hear people say if the moon is gone all life on earth is dead ,NASA is going crash moon or destry it today.

People these days seem to lack science and make up their own science like DNA is not in cell but cell in DNA with out saying I do not know the answer.

I'd certainly appreciate a higher level of scientific education if it came for free. But I personally see deficits in much more important things on a much more basic level relatively often.Last semester, two of the students on my tutoring group (university students, not pupils) were barely able to write a single sentence that was grammatically correct and had some actual content. I'd claim that the majority of people (including me) would be unable to find most of the world's counties on a map or know what the human rights are or actually say. Considering such ignorance about the world we live in I find it pretty insignificant if someone does not know what DNA, a human cell or an atom's nucleus is.

Summary: Dunno it it just you. But it's not me.

There is no shame in ignorance. However, being stupid about your own ignorance is terrible. That people do not have the humility to say, well I really have no clue, why don't you ask someone who knows? That's what's shocking and I dare say dangerous. They don't really need to know much about science, they just need to know that they don't know, and then defer to someone who does. The same applies to every other subject.

There is no shame in ignorance. However, being stupid about your own ignorance is terrible. That people do not have the humility to say, well I really have no clue, why don't you ask someone who knows? That's what's shocking and I dare say dangerous. They don't really need to know much about science, they just need to know that they don't know, and then defer to someone who does. The same applies to every other subject.

I quite agree. I've never been blessed with extraordinary intelligence or a great education. So, I've made it a point to notice who is smart and then I listen to what they say and try to remember as much as I can. I freely, and often, admit that I don't know something, and that gives me the freedom to go find out. Turns out I do have a good knack for figuring out who really does know things vs who just puts on airs.