Are Blondes Truly Dumb?

bloodhound

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Any way' date=' Marie Curie was a blonde (I think)"

That's not too good for the blonde reputation to have an individual who died of cancer due to too much radium watching. :) Just kidding of course, as you said, Nobel prizes and everything. And back then, no one really knew how dangerous radiation actually was.[/quote']

Gilded, I was just giving one example to proof that not ALL blonde are stupid....

actually, in English, dumb means speechless.

As I said previously, IQ is much dependant on individual rather than a group of people....

Any way, I think the true smart people are the ones who have humility, because they know it gains no loss of their own true pride. Like for eg, Einstein, if when some body asked Einstein "are you smartest in mathematics?" He would probably name a few other great mathematicians as well like Gauss for example.

Smart is not always the key to success, it is the perseverance behind it!!

Albert

"Smart is not always the key to success, it is the perseverance behind it!!"

It must be nice to think that, Al. In fact it's so nice that I won't even try to burst your bubble :)

I agree philbo1965uk, the thread has turned from interesting to silly.

On the first page, Sayonara³ made a good point that if blondes were dumber than other hair colours, it would be social/behavioral/circumstantial etc, not due to genetics. There's obviously no genetic reason at least, as i'm sure people here already know. All hair is grey, but is treated with melanin to give colour. Melanin is also what gives your skin colour, so if you were going to argue that blondes being dumb was genetic, you'd also be saying black people are dumb.

People used to say red-headed people had terrible tempers. I know a couple of red heads who seemed to think that gave them a license to throw hissy-fits.

There was a time it was thought that women, blondes or otherwise, wouldn't be able to attract a husband if he thought she was smarter than he. Fortunately, those days seem to be a thing of the past.

I'm blonde and my IQ tests 130+, not a genius, but don't think that qualifies as "dumb" either.

"Smart is not always the key to success' date=' it is the perseverance behind it!!"

It must be nice to think that, Al. In fact it's so nice that I won't even try to burst your bubble :)

[/quote']Go on, try!

Are you serious?

How are you defining success? The planet is littered with smart failures who never tried, or gave up early, and mediocre individuals who were too dumb (though not necessarily blonde) to know when to quit who went on to great success. (Can you shift my paradigm?)

Thought for the day: 'What's another word for synonym?'

I'm going to deal with this in sections if you don't mind, and even if you do.

"The planet is littered with smart failures who never tried, or gave up early"

To me that is a contradiction in terms. Smart failures who never tried? They're obviously not very smart if they're a failure who never tried.

"and mediocre individuals who were too dumb to know when to quit who went on to great success."

Are you talking about monetary success? I don't know what you mean.

But if by 'success' you mean 'fulfilling one's life goal/s' then yes I believe "smartness" is just as important as determination.

If you want to own a plumbing business, maybe you don't need to be a rocket scientist, but if you want to be a rocket scientist, you do have to be a rocket scientist.

I think smarts and determination need to go hand in hand for great success, as you won't get overly far without having both of them simultaneously.

Of course a person of average intelligence can achieve great things and change the world, but once they do, they've just proven that they're smart.

I do believe I just found a catch-22...

hmmmm short for setup? like in the ooooooooold days when tv just came out you needed to have some proffessional guy come in an set it up so you could get that one crappy channel with nothing on it?

If I put an extra single sock in the wash will I get an even ammount back?

In sections for the reply, also (I didn't mind.)

Ophiolite: "The planet is littered with smart failures who never tried, or gave up early"

SubJunk: To me that is a contradiction in terms. Smart failures who never tried? They're obviously not very smart if they're a failure who never tried.

I suspect we are may be debating terminology (isn't that typical?). Smart has to do, by my definition, with capacity to achieve, based in part on intelligence, social skills, knowledge, experience etc. Those who don't try or quit early, arguably do so out of fear of failure. Some very smart people can be very afraid. 'Smart' involves rational thinking; fear is irrational, hence the conflict and apparant contradiction.

Ophiolite: "and mediocre individuals who were too dumb to know when to quit who went on to great success."

SubJunk: Are you talking about monetary success? I don't know what you mean. But if by 'success' you mean 'fulfilling one's life goal/s' then yes I believe "smartness" is just as important as determination.

That was why I asked you how you were definining success. I would distinguish commercial success which requires modest to moderate intellect, coupled with great determination, from monetary success, which can be down to chance. But I prefer to consider success in terms of your second definition, achieving life goals. And here I would argue determination is key and smartness influences the success only to the extent that the goals demand intellectual rigour.

SubJunk: I think smarts and determination need to go hand in hand for great success

Absolutely agree. The main reason I posted was that you seemed to be saying that determination was of minor or zero consequence. Sorry for picking you up wrong the first time aorund.

Passing thought: I'm suprised you don't make more use of the subjunctive in your writing.

And where do all the socks go!

Where do half of all the socks go?

I have a hypothesis that I believe can account for this and for the similar disappearance of pens' date=' keys and other small objects. Very small black holes left over from the early stages of the big bang. I sense your objection - why only half the socks? Well, once I've figured that out I'll be ready to publish. (What, you mean this [b']isn't [/b]the pseudo-science section?}

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rock3rchikk

i am considering doing a project on the rumor that blondes are dumb. for this experiement i want to give both blondes and brunettes tests on common sense and such. after evaluating these i should be able to come up with a conclusion. the problem is, i really want to take this project far and at this point in time....its looking really pitiful. :-( i NEED scholorships, so doing well here could be very helpful. my experiment also needs to connect to biology. im thinking that if i related all my information to the brain and IQ then it would work right? im looking for any help i can get, thanks!! :D

hey, thats an easy one really. Just find out if 51% of americans are blonde.

j/k

I for one don't buy it, I've known plenty of smart blonde men and women. My brother is blonde, and a pretty smart kid. On the other hand, I've known plenty of dumb people, of all nationalities, hair color, foot size, car type, etc.

I for one am of the opinion a large majority of the world is rather dumb, when you get right down to it. Most of the "dumb blonde" stereotype came about in recent years I do believe, I believe more because the way girls would dye their hair blonde, and act quite silly for attention.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sxy_Nerdette

OK, I'll admit, I couldn't be bothered to read all those posts you guyz just made, but I'm gonna have my say! Now THREE of my best friends have been blonde, out of SIX of us, and with all respect to my friends, they are blonde!

Now I'm not gonna say that blondes can not be, or are not clever, because that's just not true! HOWEVER, statistically, brunettes (and usually redheads too - thought they are a minority group), score higher on IQ tests than blondes .. now that's a fact.

It is possible that the families that give birth to blonde children, are one's that do not have the higher levels of genetic intelligence, but actually to me that sounds like a load of crap, as another point I missed, is that:

Statistically, those that score the highest on tests, are asian females - now I am female, but I am not Asian ... Therefore, only they truly have the right to proclaim which hair colours are the smartest!

CASE CLOSED!!

I depends how much bleach is involved. The ratio of bleach to individual stands of hair along with the length of time left of the head will produce varying degrees of blondness. Those at the full headf of white frizz end of the spectrum are with out doubt dumb.

The rest are probably good looking and therefore incite jealousy, which is probably the root of the debate ( ever been to Sweden )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mazar iv

anyone have a know an intelligent blonde? if so plz tell me what makes them intelligent...hmmm....

anyone know any dumb blonde jokes CLEAN blonde jokes

Are Blondes Truly Dumb?

It is a myth...

A myth that was created as a result of American culture.

The myth of the dumb blond comes from TV and movies.

These avenues of information give younger people a standard to follow. Because these forms of information give examples of blonds who are "flakey" it gives society the impression that it is ok to "act" this way. Therefore, the average "dumb" blond is not dumb, instead, they choose to be dumb due to soical acceptance.

Nothing genetic about it.

Fischhaber

Go Army

Branch: EN

• 4 months later...

In a lecture theatre, sit at the top and do a quick count of the proportions of blondes in the theatre. From what I've noticed, in math and science classes it usually ranges from 0.05 to 0.10. Next we need to know what the proportion of blondes in the general population is.

I'm blond and I'm pretty dumb.

BTW people. When in reference to something female or feminine, it's blonde. If it's male or masculine, it's blond. Also Jessica Simpson is a certified nitwit. You cannot fake that kind of dumbness.

Throughout my life, I have been blonde and I have been brunette. Because I am half Swedish, I have the fair complexion of a blonde and was blonde until age 12 when the Cherokee suddenly asserted itself and I became rapidly brunette. I did not feel like my old self so I bleached to become blonde again.

I have always noticed that when blonde, I get more attention from men. I also have noticed that men assume I am not as smart when I am a blonde. When I was younger, thinner, and shapelier, this bothered me. I wanted to be attractive to men but I also wanted to be respected. So I went back to being a brunette.

Now that I am older, I wish I had understood that men thinking you are dumb is not always a disadvantage.