Joe Scarborough on American political polarization

bascule

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-scarborough/thank-you-mr-president_b_308022.html

I'm not typically one to say anything positive about Joe Scarborough. I really do have to wonder if he murdered his intern. And he's not the type of person you ordinarily see in the Huffington Post.

All that said, he wrote a rather interesting and provocative article for the Post, lauding Obama for trying to bring the Olympics to Chicago and doting on what political polarization has done to America. Specifically, he notes concern over the Republican response to Obama trying to bring the Olympics to his hometown of Chicago. Republicans in Arlington, Virginia applauded Chicago being ousted as a potential site for the 2016 Olympics.

Overall, Scarborough's article is a painful lament of polarization in our country. He notes Tom Brokaw citing the "level of partisanship is even more intense today than during the depths of the Watergate crisis".

It's a sad state of affairs.

It is sad. Perhaps one of the worst parts is that my disgust with this type of stuff only further polarizes the issues. Because I can't stand what they are doing, I make myself part of the issue.

I shared this post in another thread. It really should have been put into this one.

Pangloss - If you happen to read this, maybe you can kill that other post since I'm repeating it here. Thanks, man.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

This is just downright pathetic.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/10/weekly-standard-newsroom-erupts-into-cheers-at-news-of-olympics.php?ref=fpa

When the International Olympic Committee voted against Chicago's bid for the 2016 Olympics this morning -- after the President and First Lady flew to Copenhagen to push for it in person -- the Weekly Standard newsroom burst into applause.

"Cheers erupt at Weekly Standard world headquarters," wrote editor John McCormack in a post titled "Chicago Loses! Chicago Loses!" <
>

I mean... Come on... Really? I am so ashamed of my country right now, and my shame stems directly from the fact that I love it, not that I "hate America first."

Edited by iNow
Consecutive posts merged.

I mean... Come on... Really? I am so ashamed of my country right now, and my shame stems directly from the fact that I love it, not that I "hate America first."

Agreed. That really is ridiculous, I was pretty ticked when I first heard about that too...you think Canada would accept me to her huge freezing country? :D

Agreed. That really is ridiculous, I was pretty ticked when I first heard about that too...you think Canada would accept me to her huge freezing country? :D

You're sure you want to have

as prime minister ? ;P

You're sure you want to have
as prime minister ? ;P

I thought he did pretty good, I'm sure I could appreciate it better if I new all the mud slinging up there. :D

Compared to Bush trying to

, the PM is Mozart

I will add that it is a shame that people cheer against their own country just because of Obama. Would anyone have done that if Bush tried to get the Olympics in Dallas or Houston?

I'm a liberal, I'm not a crazy Left Wing Liberal who thinks we should all be vegans and ride bicycles everywhere but if I have to have a label then Liberal is the best I can do. I like Joe Scarborough, I liked him from the get go, he usually puts it out like it is, not spun to show anyone as good and perfect. I wish there was a Middle party where all the moderate Liberals and Conservatives could come together and give the extremists some competition. But for some reason most people seem to want to revel in the idea of the extreme. If you believe in any Right Wing policies you must swallow them all, or if you believe in any Left Wing policies you must believe them all. It's not only wrong I think it's dangerous for the country. If anything ever contributes to the down fall of this great land it will be the polarization of the extremes.

Damn! My spell checker did it again! Right is captialized but left is not, Conservetive is captialized but liberal is not! It's a conspiricy!

If they did, they'd be labeled un-American traitors who hate the country and should move to Canada.

LOL, the true right wingers would say they were supporting Bin Laden, because he didn't want America to get the olympics either. :D