EEG visions

Has anyone here ever had an EEG? I had one about 10 years ago and to this day the effects I saw during the EEG have stayed with me. It's very difficult to explain what I saw, multidimensional spheres? I really can't explain it. Has anyone else had these effects from an EEG and would it be dangerous to duplicate them just to further experience and understand the vision?

An EEG is a passive process which has no perceptible way to affect you, aside from having sensors stuck to your skin and the feedback of seeing your own brainwaves on a machine.

It wasn't passive, they stimulated my brain with flashing strobes put over my eyes.

It wasn't passive, they stimulated my brain with flashing strobes put over my eyes.

That's secondary to an EEG. Perhaps you should've titled the thread "Flashing strobes in my eyeballs gave me visions".

That said I have flashed strobe lights in my own eyes, while intoxicated on certain entheogens, and do not have anything close to a long-term change in any sort of cognitive function, except on an extremely low level.

That's secondary to an EEG. Perhaps you should've titled the thread "Flashing strobes in my eyeballs gave me visions".

That said I have flashed strobe lights in my own eyes, while intoxicated on certain entheogens, and do not have anything close to a long-term change in any sort of cognitive function, except on an extremely low level.

I thought all EEG's were done by stimulating the brain with the lights. I saw some stuff I can only describe as multidimensional, I've had thoughts of such things but I never saw them, the visions were so vivid, the lights were supposed to stimulate my brain.

Well, an EEG can be done with or without external stimulus. The lights are generally used to test something specific, to look at a specific area or region of the brain and see how it responds... Bascule is correct. What you describe is more likely to be a result of the lit stimulus, not the electroencephalogram itself. It's still cool, though. :)

In a hospital setting, I'd had a seizure and they wanted to see if they could induce one. They couldn't.

I'm not so sure they didn't, if you were seeing things. If they were trying to induce a grand mal, perhaps not. Perhaps something akin to a petit mal. *shrug* I don't know enough about the situation.

Well I was conscious and talking through out the entire procedure. If it was a seizure the docs missed it, they gave me a clean bill of health.

Well, I'm not going to second guess 'em =^_^=

The brain sure is an interesting organ. Heh. It's an organ that finds itself interesting.

Hmm.

Does that mean that a neurophysiology researcher is someone with a really bad case of narcissism?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still confused by your description. It was "multidimensional"?

It's a very difficult thing to describe, spheres with in spheres, connected but not connected, moving and stationary at the same time. No real basis to describe or compare it to anything real. I hoping someone else had experienced it and we could compare notes.

• 3 months later...

I found your post while searching for "EEG visions." I had an EEG last week and was seeing bizarre geometric patterns. With each change of the light's pulsation pattern, I got new patterns. Very psychedelic. On a couple of the tests I saw strange churning pictures that reminded me of the closing scenes of 2001 The Space Odyssey. I wasn't sure if this was what everyone experienced during the test, or if it was indicative of some problem. Yours was the only reaction I found similar to mine. You seem to be fine, so I'll conclude we're just special somehow. When I see my doctor next month, I'll get his take on it and post again.

Oops! I had meant to respond to this one, some time back, and then having gotten busied and sidetracked with a long 'things to do' list, forgot about it.

One matter is that of having had a seizure in the first place--for whatever reason it may have been sparked, it had happened, thus evidencing the brain build for the propensity of such. Then, that explanation given, and, screenpud's as well, quickly reminded me of the aura which usually, but not always, occurs before a migraine (it can happen in those who do not experience a migraine). The visual results of this 'thought to be a brainstorm, of sorts,' is often geometric in nature, and can also include brilliant 'stars,' lightening-like flashes, and flashes of light, all often followed by occasional dark spots.

One very noteworthy point is that there appears to be a hyperexcitable phase followed by a somewhat long inhibitional phase (possibly putting the involved neurons in 'suspended animation'[not allowing any Na, K, or Ca diffusion by pumps]) in kind of a wave pattern. This is possibly similar to a epileptic attack, and does have relation to such in some cases. Another interesting point is that these visual cognitions are always 'out there;' another case in point against any 'strong embodiment-like' philosophical arguments.

Dodick, David J., Gargus, J. Jay, (2008) Why Migraines Strike. Scientific American Vol 299, Number 2 (Aug); pp 36-43;

• 8 years later...

I just had an EEG and had a visionof some sort. Im having some major health issues. I just googled the topic and this comment/post came up. I signed up for this site in hopes for answers. Mootanman... are you still around?

Edited by KixR4kids

7 hours ago, KixR4kids said:

I just had an EEG and had a visionof some sort. Im having some major health issues. I just googled the topic and this comment/post came up. I signed up for this site in hopes for answers. Mootanman... are you still around?

I am still around and I did have some follow up but even that was many years ago, turns out part of my brain, for the life of me I can't remember which part now, was unresponsive. The unresponsive part was jokingly referred to as the dead zone by the doc and the nurse who were friends of mine. 

I found out years later that just a few days after birth I went cold and blue for an extended period of time, I have no idea how long but my mom referred to it as several minutes. I lived so far out in the boonies I couldn't be taken to a DR, my grandmother took me out in the woods for about an hour and came back with me all pink and warm. She never told anyone what happened while she was away. I had to call my mom and ask for the details again. No tellin what my grandmother did, she was an old country woman who did all kinds of rituals for healings and such. I didn't find out about any of it until years after the eeg... I am sorry i can't be more precise but back then people didn't talk a lot about this sort of thing thinking it was of the devil or something..