Simple mathematical puzzle...

Syntho-sis

A one legged man stands on a Ledge; in his hand is a Wedge. The man falls off the Ledge, loses his Wedge. What happened to it?

Answer: It was broken into a "V"

How did I come to that conclusion using subtraction and simple geometry?

This is a simple puzzle I made up last night...

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Hint: Pay attention to the in-bold letters..

Well, I really have two guesses, both of which I doubt are correct:

a) [hide]The W was broken in half due to the fall. That doesn't have anything to do with geometry and simple algebra though.[/hide]

b) [hide]When you said it was about angles, the only thing I could think of was that in a W, the three angles look like they're 45°(and I'm not sure they are), and the angle in L is 90°. 3*45° - 90° = 45°, which is the angle in one V.[/hide]

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I really have two guesses, both of which I doubt are correct:

a) [hide]The W was broken in half due to the fall. That doesn't have anything to do with geometry and simple algebra though.[/hide]

b) [hide]When you said it was about angles, the only thing I could think of was that in a W, the three angles look like they're 45°(and I'm not sure they are), and the angle in L is 90°. 3*45° - 90° = 45°, which is the angle in one V.[/hide]

Your answers could be deemed sufficient. The answer I had was a tad different though. Since I am limited on time currently I will have to abstain from providing the full answer right now. I will make it my goal to give an extended answer to this riddle ASAP.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

*SPOILER ALERT*

I had to dig through a bunch of my old notes for this..

Okay so there are 4 lines in the Letter 'W'. There are 2 lines in the letter 'L'.

^ Geometry

Subtract 2 from 4 and you get 2.

^ Subtraction

'Broken' constitutes subtraction. 2 lines pieced together can form a 'V'.

Pretty simple when you think about it. There was some other weird things I noticed about the angles but I can't remember any of that right now.