phD in Computer Engineering after the MBA??

mrsamer

Hi all,

Is it possible to start phD in any Computer Engineering if you got an MBA ? , or you'll need to get a Masters degree in Engineering first? , does it depend on the university itself or what?.

Thanks !

Edited by mrsamer

Engineering and Computer Engineering are two wholly different things, stranger.

And you can't just jump into a graduate program in Engineering, or rather, most people couldn't. You would need a very strong background in Newtonian physics, control systems, logic systems, fluid mechanics and many areas of math. And that's just the general stuff all engineering majors do. The specialized stuff is even crazier.

I'm not trying to deride your major, but I really don't think MBAs cover this stuff. Apologies if they do.

And to immediately jump into a Doctoral program in Computer Engineering with little background in computer science or engineering would be practically unheard of.

But you should pursue whatever interests you may have. Heck, I may be wrong about all of this :D

Hopefully I've helped some :)

Apart from possible funding issues, generally there is no formal pre-requisite. However, you will need to convince any supervisor that you have the knowledge to undertake the work.

I suggest you approach potential supervisors and ask them.

CharonY , A Tripolation, ajb: Thanks all for your replies. I forgot to mention that i hold a BS.c in computer Engineering and i have 3 years experience working as a Network Consulting engineer at a Multinational company and an ISP.

My idea was , i wanna go and get my MBA , then maybe in the future if i wanted to teach at the university then i'll go and continue my phd in computer Engineering but i'm not sure if i can do that directly or i should go back and get a Masters in computer Engineering first !!!

What do you think guys?

Ohhhhhhh, ok.

I thought you HAD an MBA and were wondering if you could get a PhD in an Engineering field with no previous experience. This is much better. ;)

I'm not too sure about the graduate program hierarchy. I always thought you needed to get a Masters before you could get a PhD, but I'm not so sure now.

Based on my limited knowledge, I would get my Master's in Comp. Eng. and then get the MBA.

That way, you can always return for your PhD.

ajb (being a soon graduated-grad student himself) should be able to answer a lot more than I can.

Good luck, friend.

I assume that you are in the USA? In principle you can enter PhD programs with a bachelor. Though you should think carefully later one if you really want to teach in university, if you have already got a job. The good thing is that (I assume) for computer sciences having industrial experience may actually benefit you for getting a teaching position. But then you have to consider the time required (roughly five to six years) and the fact that the competition in academia is rather fierce. Usually it is not a very good secondary option.

But then I my experience is mostly limited to natural sciences and I think the situation is somewhat different (as mentioned) in you field.

• 3 weeks later...