What will happen in 2012

bblankfein

just because you don't care doesn't mean nobody else does

What I said was "I predict that I will be well and trully pissed off with the olympics because, while I understand that some people like to prove that they are, for example, the fastest runner in the world, I don't understand why they think I should care."

There's neither a statement nor an implication that others don't care.

What I said was "I predict that I will be well and trully pissed off with the olympics because, while I understand that some people like to prove that they are, for example, the fastest runner in the world, I don't understand why they think I should care."

There's neither a statement nor an implication that others don't care.

i was reffering to the tripolation guy who was saying he doesn't care about it being on TV so you shouldn't either.

I guess it's just because I'm the real passive sort. I mean, they're not invoking emminent domain and bulldozing his house like they did to those peopel in China...It's just that 5 channels out of 200 on satellite or 50 on the most basic of cable (not to mention internet TV) won't be available for one week.

I'm assuming when you say "terrestial" channels, you're talking of the major networks? Like the equivalent to the US's ABC, NBC, CBS such and such? And in Britian, they will ALL show the Olympics? Over here, only one channel has that privelege and they pay handsomely for it. And to compensate for that, the other channels will usually play awesome movies and such to try and get as much of an audience as they can...but that's not how it works over there?

by terrestrial he means the ones transmitted to an antenna rather than through a cable or sattelite dish.

although with the advent of freeview this situation has changed and there are more than 5 but many people still only have the five terrestrial channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV/STV, Channel4, Five)

I'd love it if we could build a bigger better collider for 2012. Firing it up in December would be awesome.

This made me think of how bad it would be, on a public relations level, if some physicist working on the LHC or other really big collider said: "We'll get this running and producing results this year if it's the last thing we do."

Gotta watch those turns of phrase. ;)

Hello.

I am interested in 2012, notably - the Mayan prophecy about the end of the world 12.21.2012. Many people talk about it now, besides, the movie comes out soon. I'm interested to read something about it. Disclosing this theme.

Advise me some articles please.

Thank you

2012 phenomenon

The 2012 phenomenon is a present-day cultural meme proposing that cataclysmic or transformative events will occur in the year 2012. The forecast is based primarily on what is claimed to be the end-date of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, which is presented as lasting 5,125 years and as terminating on December 21 or 23, 2012, along with plenty of speculation, such as interpretations of assorted legends, scriptures, numerological constructions, prophecies, and alleged channeling from extraterrestrials.

A New Age interpretation of this transition posits that, during this time, the planet and its inhabitants may undergo a positive physical or spiritual transformation, and that 2012 may mark the beginning of a new era. Conversely, some believe that the 2012 date marks the beginning of an apocalypse. The 2012 doomsday prediction idea has been disseminated in numerous books and TV documentaries, and has spread around the world as an Internet meme through websites and discussion groups. The idea of a global event occurring in 2012 based on any interpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is rejected as pseudoscience by the scientific community, and as misrepresentative of Maya history by Mayanist scholars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

No, no space disaster in 2012: http://www.universetoday.com/2009/02/15/another-voice-against-2012-mania/

No comet: http://www.universetoday.com/2008/12/21/2012-no-comet/

No geomagnetic reversal: http://www.universetoday.com/2008/10/03/2012-no-geomagnetic-reversal/

no doomsday http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/

There are many more. The conclusion is very clear: The movie sounds like it's going to be an absolutely hightech effects amazing hollywood style movie that's based on absolute horse crap and has absolutely no scientific backing whatsoever.

Should be an awesome movie, though.

There are many more. The conclusion is very clear: The movie sounds like it's going to be an absolutely hightech effects amazing hollywood style movie that's based on absolute horse crap and has absolutely no scientific backing whatsoever.

Should be an awesome movie, though.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to say "The movie is by Roland Emmerich"? ;):)

Hey mooey, about the no comet thing. Isn't there a chance that there is some sort of planet killer hurtling at us, and we just have no freakin' clue it's coming?

I'm not advocating this position, I just didn't like how the article blatantly dismissed all possibilities of an asteroid in the next four years.

And I'm pretty sure the Mayans or whoever wouldn't have been able to accurately predict when a comet was going to hit Earth ;) Just saying it a possibility.

Hey mooey, about the no comet thing. Isn't there a chance that there is some sort of planet killer hurtling at us, and we just have no freakin' clue it's coming?

Sure, but that chance exists for 2012 just like it exists for right... this.... second.....

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

I predict I will be very drunk on the night of December 12th, 2012

Bet I'll be more drunk - that's my 36th Bday. :D

It'll be my last chance to enjoy another "12s trifecta" and I haven't done that since I was 12

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be too necromantic but I just found this article, which is amusing:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091011/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_apocalypse2012

Apolinario Chile Pixtun is tired of being bombarded with frantic questions about the Mayan calendar supposedly "running out" on Dec. 21, 2012. After all, it's not the end of the world.

Or is it?

Definitely not, the Mayan Indian elder insists. "I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff."