Can you earn your doctorate part time?

Capita

Hello

I am slightly more than half way though earning my degree for Biotech. I want to pursue a career in medicinal chemistry doing research and development of medicine. I plan on getting a masters and then enter the job market as my funds for school will probably be exhausted by then but I am aware that I really need a doctorates for a R&D position. I would still need to work though so my question is can I earn my doctorates part time?

Also I am having trouble finding university's that have the major under medicinal chemistry. Is this major some times called something else. I cannot tell what kind of post graduate school I need to attend as well it seems to fall under pharmacy while others say it falls under med school.

Hello

I am slightly more than half way though earning my degree for Biotech. I want to pursue a career in medicinal chemistry doing research and development of medicine. I plan on getting a masters and then enter the job market as my funds for school will probably be exhausted by then but I am aware that I really need a doctorates for a R&D position. I would still need to work though so my question is can I earn my doctorates part time?

Also I am having trouble finding university's that have the major under medicinal chemistry. Is this major some times called something else. I cannot tell what kind of post graduate school I need to attend as well it seems to fall under pharmacy while others say it falls under med school.

How about molecular biology. Or do you already have a degree in that ? Medicinal Chemistry sounds to me like pharmacology. Maybe what you are looking for would be in a catagory such as pharmacological research and developement. You might try a web search and see what pops up. ...DS ...I just did a websearch as I suggested. Many Universities offer doctorate courses in Pharmacology some more specically research and Developement. I would include the geographic location you wish to study in, Country City and such. The courses are out there. Good Luck, ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax

i did a search for pharmaceutical research and development but only really came up with more articles and new on the subject... and pharmacology seems to deal with how medications effect the body more than developing medications. I was looking at getting involved in drug discovery and developing new analogs... Wikipedia seems to give a good description of what medicinal chemistry is but I believe it goes under many names

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicinal_chemistry

Oh yes as far as location for schooling I would like to stay in Florida as I will soon have residency and will make cost go way down but it seems University of Florida is the only option and unfortunately my grades from early semesters are dragging my grades down and I know UF is not very leanent on grades for pharmacy school applicants. Currently my grades are around 3.2 or so but over all is probably lower and I think may be good enough for some less prestigious pharmacy schools like Palm Beach Atlantic, and NOVA southeastern

Edited by Capita