New BB Tags

I added some new BB tags:

Press "Quote" for this post to see how they work.

Strike-out

Inserted Text (hover) and Deleted Text (hover) for inserting/deleting during edits. This is an advantage in long threads that you might come back to and alter, because it gives people an idea when different changes occured (the "last edited on" text is not so great for that.)

Denominator over-lines text; handy for quick equations at the start of the line, or for marking up modulus.

[hide]This tag is for putting spoilers in threads about new films, books etc; or for posting the answer to a puzzle etc.[/hide]

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide][math]\frac {x + 1}{2 - y}[/math][/hide]

The blacked-out text is a paragraph set to display as inline text.

The LaTex module replaces text with tansparent images, so it broke the confines of the paragraph.

I might be able to sort it by changing the paragraph display mode to 'block'.

I shouldn't try it, it's pretty hard to get it working like that. Maybe I'll knock something up at some point, probably involve making two images of the same thing and using a rollover or something.

With the exception of the spoiler tag, which is actually useful, all the BB I have added are the typographical functions from the HTML specification that VB has not implemented.

I don't see any reason to add a sarcasm tag when the :rolleyes: smiley does the job just fine.

I think an [edit] tag would be a good idea. i already know there is a strike through tag for that sort of purpose but with the edit tag u could have the new text enclosed in the similar box to the spoiler tag.

I think an [edit'] tag would be a good idea. i already know there is a strike through tag for that sort of purpose but with the edit tag u could have the new text enclosed in the similar box to the spoiler tag.

Or just put '[edit]' yourself.

Anyway, the question to ask for all of these is:

What does it add to the forum?

I'd argue that it adds nothing, and actually detracts.

"Edit" markup is sufficiently provided for by strike-out, insertion and deletion, which are the correct typographical tools and native to the HTML 4 specification. The only improvement that would be nice is if I can jig it about and get the current datetime to populate INS and DEL automatically.

What is the cartman tag meant to do?