My Latest Security Invention :)

YT2095

as some of you may alreay know, my shed was destroyed by wind several months ago, in a few days time I`ll be having a brand new one :)

but there is still a problem with theives on the site :(

so I came up with a rather brilliant idea (though I say so myself).

wouldn`t it be nice to know if someone had broken in so you could catch them in the act! :)

well here`s how:

you`ll need an OLD mobile fone, the reason is that the old ones don`t switch off after inactivity and are cheaper and larger (making them easy to work with).

take the fone appart and locate the mebrane keypad and solder 2 wires to either side of the Green Send button.

reassemble the fone and attatch a micro switch to the other end of the 2 wires, that switch is now your Send button (you`ve probably worked it out already).

mount that switch where it will be OFF with the door shut and ON when the door opens a little, then dial in your contact number.

as soon as anyone opens the door, it presses send and calls you :)

repeated presses of send won`t make a difference either :)

if you wanted to be really mean, you could extend the wires on the fones Mic, and you`ll actualy be able to listen to the thieves and maybe catch a name etc...

the modification for the battery is simple, buy the battery holders from Maplins or Radio Shack using the AA type batts to the required voltage for your fone (mine uses 6 volts so 4xAA batts work fine) and the cardiac Dept in most Hospitals will be more than happy to sell you Alkaline batteries that have only been used once and for less than 24 hours. I get 12 AA batts for a quid :)

solar power is viable too, if you use this idea at home just keep the fone on charge, the same applies if you hook it up to your car.

either way, the basic idea is there for you all to use and adapt in anyway that suits you :)

I`m sure some of you will benefit from this idea, as may your property! :)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of minature cameras over here that I nicked off of an old projector. I'm gonna mess around with them a bit and see if I can get em working and then maybe I can improve your system a bit :)

that would be sweet! Cheerz :)

thus far, I have the fone (given to me when my mate upgraded his), the wire and switch, the key switch to disarm it from outside before opening the door (taken out of an old 286 PC). the battery packs and solar pannels.

all I need now is a 5 quid PAYT SIM card on Vodafone and my shed :)

It would be funny if they just took the phone as well on the next raid and you were too far away to catch them in time.

Well, okay, maybe not 'funny' but ironic certainly.

"I don't believe it, they took everything."

"What about the security system?"

"They took the security system as well!"

I have a couple of minature cameras over here that I nicked off of an old projector. I'm gonna mess around with them a bit and see if I can get em working and then maybe I can improve your system a bit :)

Wouldn't cameras give away the security system a bit. If they saw them, they'd probably just destroy them, run, and come back another day.

whilst trying to pick holes in my idea I was pleasantly surprised to discover that when the fone is primed with the number, even if it gets called and not answered, it goes right back to where it was before the call :)))

I was worried that it might wipe the number in waiting, it doesn`t :))

so even if I get a wrong number or a spam call, it`ll not effect it, and will remain armed.

pretty sweet huh! :)

of the 70 sheds on site, all have been broken into, and what hasn`t been stolen is usualy burned, infact we`ve lost 18 sheds to fire already in the last 12 months!

its the School summer holiday period that is worst.

I think that qualifies as a YES! :)

• 3 weeks later...

oh, ok, so what is stolen?

chemicals and stuff???

where in england are you, like dont give away your address or nothing, but where is there room for 70 sheds for nutty little chemists like you, which is always broken into by school kids?!?!?

I would be tempted to hook it up to a canister of CS gas (james bond style), or if they stole anything important; VX gas! that will show them.... although you obviously run the risk of wiping out the entire of the west midlands (providing Birmingham is where you live??) not gud :(.

I am curious how winds managed to take out a shed; i would be more inclined to believe there was an experiment involved which did not go to plan....:P. Anyhow cameras concieled in smoke alarms for security purposes can be purchased for £5 off ebay or more expensive from http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk

I would suggest booby trapping what they intend to steal, have you never seen s.w.a.g on channel 5?!

Im sure you can think of some ideas.....