Gender Affects Eating?

kenel

Women have higher rates of obesity and eating disorders than men do, but why? I'd assume that men's and women's brains react differently to hunger. If anyone knows anything about this, or has any information, please reply...I'm very curious.

You've probably read the same article I'm reading right now, but it shows that women and men differ in what part of the brain hunger effects.

See image: http://www.sciencenews.org/20020706/a1901_151.jpg

From Science News Article

The area is under intense investigation right now," says neuroscientist Yijun Liu of the University of Florida in Gainesville. Liu notes that the NIDDK team turned up no gender differences in the hypothalamus, the brain area responsible for basic physiological responses to hunger and satiation. The researchers also found no gender differences in blood-chemical signals controlled by the hypothalamus.

Rather, he says, the newly observed brain patterns suggest that men and women differ in how they think and feel about what they eat rather than in the way they process food compounds.

A recently isolated endogenous GH secretagogue called ghrelin, which has an n-octanoylation in the serine 3 group, stimulates GH release, contributes to motility, and regulates gastric acid levels. While this has shown to be age dependent, neither ovariectomy nor orchidectomy significantly changed the amount of ghrelin levels; and it's not related to BMI. Since grehlin is a major factor in hunger, it could still be responsible for the differences, since the evidence suggests it is not produced by gender specific structures.

• 3 weeks later...

in health we learned that the reason women have a higher risk of eating disorderes is cause the world is run by men. and being a perfect women is the only way to fit in. thats why 400 women are all bus drivers.. women feel they need to look decent to be accepted and make it in the world.

We've never had so much cheap crappy food available in the history of the world. Maybe women are finally expressing the genes that were favored over time to store fat in times of plenty. It would be a survival advantage in evolution.

Too bad.

Just aman

• 2 weeks later...

maybe there is ample logic behind it.

if you've ever been married to a pregnant woman, you understand the connection between hormones and cravings.

Women are set up physically, and wired mentally to incubate babies.

Men are set up physically and wired mentally to fight each other over women and to provide them with baby seeds.

makes sense; the incubator is wired to eat and store nutrients, the germinator is wired to drink beer and carry large caliber handguns. I can live with that. I like women with curves.

That's the same crap as religious dogma. I don't think being fat is on that little piece of X chromosome we're missing. In fact we have a lot of men in our society that are natural born men with double XX chromosomes. They don't know it until they're tested. It might be you.

Any chemical difference can be overridden by circumstance or discipline.

It just makes sense to me that if there is a chemical difference and we still see a lot of fat men then were bound to see a few more fat women.

Moderation in all your excesses.:cool2:

Just aman

Originally posted by Hogslayer

if you've ever been married to a pregnant woman, you understand the connection between hormones and cravings.

The blame can't be focused as much on hormones as it can on the fact that the majority of nutrition is being passed through the fetus. Somewhat like a tape worm infection.

• 6 months later...

So you guys are suggesting that this fat gene is built into the women?

What about the fact that women tend to have more mood swings, which cause them to be stressed, which then make them eat more?

Originally posted by fafalone

That's estrogen.

Yup, and the easy way out of the problem is to avoid it...this avoidance many women find in eating, or increased consumption; thus, causing the weight gain.