Double-slit experiment

Syntho-sis

I'm interested in performing this experiment. How much time and money would I need to invest in this? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the original experiment.

What equipment did Thomas Young originally use?

Any resources on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

s-s

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

As part of this I will most likely build a Helium-neon laser... I found one extensive website. The info is a little overwhelming though.

http://www.repairfaq.org/

The HeNe construction is more for amusement purposes than an actual inability to come into the possession of a laser of this type. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

Edited by Syntho-sis

Laser pointers are cheap, but you can do it with even less sophisticated sources.

Well since it's the most reasonable thing at the moment, that's what I'll have to go with. (Home-built HeNe will have to wait)

I have a simple laser pointer and access to tools and what not...

Where do I go from there?

If you use a streetlamp you don't have to pay for the electricity (and a lot of streetlighting uses sodium lights - the orangy yellow ones- which show the effect very well.

A handkerchief might be easier to get than pantyhose depending on your circumstances.

This page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

shows roughly how it can be done with a torch bulb, some bits of cardboard and a magnifying glass.

A relatively easy way to make the double slit is to get a piece of thin wire, stick it to a piece of clear glass or plastic and put two bits of black tape on either side of it so there's tape, a gap, the wire, another gap then more tape.