magnetism

rigadin

Hi it's been a long time since I last logged in.

I have a really important question:

Is the magnetism around a magnet of the same sort as the magnetism around an electric line?????? If you don't understand my question just tell me.

Yes. It follows the same laws of physics. The details of the field geometry will be the only possible variable, but in any case it will comply with Maxwell's equations.

So if I got it right you mean that the only thing that is different is the shape of the magnetic field and everything else is the same? thanks!

If you mean a permanent magnet then the field corresponds to a direct current, i.e. a static field, not a varying one as in the case of alternating current.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I have been thinking (I think) since my last post. In the Faraday Motor, a wire carrying a direct current rotates around a permanent magnet. A coiled wire carrying a current resembles a permanent magnet. What form of magnet resembles a straight current carrying wire ? Can perpendicular magnetic fields induce any motion.

I'm not suggesting perpetual motion or free energy, just trying to get my head around an "unwound" magnet !

So if I got it right you mean that the only thing that is different is the shape of the magnetic field and everything else is the same? thanks!

Right. A probe of some sort is not going to know if the source of the field is a permanent magnet or a current in a wire — a moving charge is going to behave in accordance with F = qv X B. You might be able to deduce the source by looking at the whole "map" of the field.