T-Rex

admiral_ju00

This has and still is a very long and old debate and I didn't see that this was covered here(yet), so what do you think(and in hopefully more than a few words):

Tyrannosaurus Rex - aka - the Tyrant Lizard King.

Predator or Scavenger?

If for some reason, you might deem him/her(I like to give things a personality and 'It' simply does not work :D) a Scavenger, why, and is he still a "Tyrant Lizard King"?

This may be a wild shot as I haven't seen anyone here either contemplating about future professional expansion into Paleontology or is currently studying it. But, what do you think about the rest of the Tyrannasauria's(Family group in which T-Rex belongs)?

{edit: forgot this question as well}

T-rex has always been considered a loner. Is he or is he not?

Depending on the outcome, should the T-rex lose his title as the Tyrant Lizard King? Especially when there was a bigger and badder dino out there (Giganotosaurus)?

Any thoughts on him(along the similar lines of this thread)?

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, the idea was to get your guys view on this before I add my bit in :)

But I say T-rex was a Scavenger. There is significant fossil evidence to account that T-rex could not run(at least not very faster then perhaps a jog).

Which would also mean that T-Rex can no longer retain the name of a Lizard King.

It's not enough evidence. It could still run 18 k.m.p. . The prey it hunted were huge plant eaters, I'd like to see you get a diplodocus to evade a t-rex by outpacing it. The most viable theory is that a T-rex was both a predator and a scavenger.

Like Skye (I think) said in the other thread (which could have been bumped legitimately instead of making this new thread), there are few scavengers that won't exploit weak or infirm prey, and few predators that won't eat carrion.

• 1 month later...
Lol' date=' the idea was to get your guys view on this before I add my bit in :)

But I say T-rex was a Scavenger. There is significant fossil evidence to account that T-rex could not run(at least not very faster then perhaps a jog).

Which would also mean that T-Rex can no longer retain the name of a Lizard King.[/quote']

Ferocity and scary teeth is good to have if you are a scavenger because you can frighten other lesser scavengers away.

a dead plant eater could represent a big treasuretrove of food that would be worth fighting over

if you are defending a stationary claim you dont have to have speed to run after things

So I think King is a good title----he could still have been top fighter in one-to-one combat even if his occupation was scavenging.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that IE keeps crashing after I have typed, copied and pasted - aarrgh!

Link from World Book:

http://www2.worldbook.com/wc/popup?path=features/dinosaurs&page=html/trex.htm&direct=yes

Snippet:

The fossil remains of other dinosaurs have also provided evidence for the predatory habits of T. rex. Commercial paleontologist Peter Larson, who led the excavation of Sue, also unearthed the skeleton of a plant-eating dinosaur called the Edmontosaurus (one of several species commonly known as the duck-billed dinosaurs) that bore healed scars from a T. rex bite. The fact that the wounds had healed, Larson pointed out, showed that the animal continued to live after receiving them. Thus, the bites were inflicted not by a scavenger but by a predator that had failed to make a kill. Moreover, Larson noted that the bones of Sue and another Black Hills Institute Tyrannosaurus specimen, called Steven, contain healed scars from T. rex bites in their tail bones. These creatures had survived attacks from one of their own. These findings indicated that the tyrant king may have preyed upon its own kind or at least fought other tyrannosaurs for territory or mates.