Thirst for Knowledge on ALL or MANY subjects

sergeidave

Does any of you out there feel something like this? I mean, maybe I'm crazy or something but I enjoy learning stuff. I mean, not just stuff that you need to know in order to, say, perform decently at your job or because you are acquiring a new hobby, no... I can literally spend hours at a time watching videos or listening to lectures on astronomy and then the next day do the same but on subjects like 'designing websites', 'fixing your car', 'athlete biographies', 'autism', 'chess', you name it. I always feel like I have this insatiable thirst for knowledge.

No, no, no!! Don't get me wrong! I'm not some kind of genius, I'm light-years away from owning any kind of guru brain on any sort of subject at all. I'm just a regular guy, I may know a thing or two that most people won't, but who doesn't?

I'm talking purely about feeling the need to learn things and enjoying every second of it.

And this makes me wonder how big is the capacity of the brain to learn EVERYTHING, I mean, how possible is that? I can think of Leonardo Da Vinci. He was a genius on many subjects and sciences.

How many sciences or subjects could a human being master to, let say, an expert level, in a lifetime? What if we could live, say 200 years?

Is the 'need to learn stuff' a common feeling out there?

Thanks for bearing with my crazyness for a minute or two!

Sergeidave

I know the feeling. I find it difficult to choose a specific field for undergraduate study because I find so many fields fascinating. I look forward to having elective classes because I'll be able to choose from dozens of other classes I find potentially interesting...

I've ended up knowing a bit about a huge range of things, and that little bit I know about each subject just makes me want to learn more.

I know the feeling. I find it difficult to choose a specific field for undergraduate study because I find so many fields fascinating. I look forward to having elective classes because I'll be able to choose from dozens of other classes I find potentially interesting...

I've ended up knowing a bit about a huge range of things, and that little bit I know about each subject just makes me want to learn more.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm talking about! I often feel that I need to focus on something but there's sooo many interesting things out there that I can't concentrate on a single one. To the point of feeling hopeless... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the same way...but as I get a little older (and now have children) I'm realizing that my energy is not limitless...I'm seeing 'the darkness at the end of the tunnel' so to speak :)

and realize it's time to pick a topic and get some 'chops'...really 'drill down'...etc.

I found this the other day while browsing design lectures and stuff.

qn5GxE8k8ec

Another one from ol' Bruce:

• 1 month later...

The more you know the more questions you have...

The more questions you answer the more you see the big picture.

The bigger the picture you see the more pieces of the puzzle you notice are missing.

Your interest in education is vital.

It is the guided development of your education that is important.

Try to direct your interests into an area that you think would be beneficial.

I too have the craving for info.

I try to direct my interest towards medicine and various surrounding sciences.

Don't let the passion die...

Keep feeding it...

Lastly, pass on your passion.

Peace!

Does any of you out there feel something like this? I mean, maybe I'm crazy or something but I enjoy learning stuff. I mean, not just stuff that you need to know in order to, say, perform decently at your job or because you are acquiring a new hobby, no... I can literally spend hours at a time watching videos or listening to lectures on astronomy and then the next day do the same but on subjects like 'designing websites', 'fixing your car', 'athlete biographies', 'autism', 'chess', you name it. I always feel like I have this insatiable thirst for knowledge.

No, no, no!! Don't get me wrong! I'm not some kind of genius, I'm light-years away from owning any kind of guru brain on any sort of subject at all. I'm just a regular guy, I may know a thing or two that most people won't, but who doesn't?

I'm talking purely about feeling the need to learn things and enjoying every second of it.

And this makes me wonder how big is the capacity of the brain to learn EVERYTHING, I mean, how possible is that? I can think of Leonardo Da Vinci. He was a genius on many subjects and sciences.

How many sciences or subjects could a human being master to, let say, an expert level, in a lifetime? What if we could live, say 200 years?

Is the 'need to learn stuff' a common feeling out there?

Thanks for bearing with my crazyness for a minute or two!

Sergeidave

You ought to major in Biochemistry and minor in psychology.

Other than that, supposedly the brain can undergo infinite storage, which I think is false. Some modern psychologists support that view; I don't, because there has to be a limit unless the brain matter can become more condensed and can evolve as the knowledge increase, which would be possible but highly improbably and a far-out, LSD like idea.

In other words, as the mind gathers knowledge, a person could gain the voluntarily ability to morph the physical structure of the brain on the spot. Although people can do this to a degree from constantly using the mind and brain, it's impractical to turn the brain into a universal black hole that holds all knowledge of the universe. There would have to be inter-dimensional storage (think of the Green Lantern's hidden lantern spots; imagine putting a thought in another universe to later bring it back to mind). Yeah... not going to happen anytime soon.